Thunderbird POP and Gmail Spam

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dkw

Thunderbird POP and Gmail Spam

Post by dkw »

I am test driving Thunderbird 60 with Gmail POP access.

At first in Thunderbird the only two folders that show up in the Gmail account are Inbox and Trash. Once an email is sent from Thunderbird, the Sent mail folder is automatically added to the Gmail account in Thunderbird.

Sometimes Gmail labels messages as Spam which are not spam.

My questions are:
1) If I ever get a message labeled Spam by Gmail, will the Spam folder automatically show up under the Gmail account in Thunderbird like the Sent folder did?
2) Is there a way to set Thunderbird create a Spam folder under Gmail account folders with will map messages label as spam by Gmail to that folder?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird POP and Gmail Spam

Post by DanRaisch »

1) If I ever get a message labeled Spam by Gmail, will the Spam folder automatically show up under the Gmail account in Thunderbird like the Sent folder did?
No, not with a POP account. The POP3 email protocol only provides for access to the server (Gmail) inbox folder by the email client (Thunderbird). That means Thunderbird can not even see the Spam folder (actually a label) on the Gmail side of the system, let alone download messages from that location.
2) Is there a way to set Thunderbird create a Spam folder under Gmail account folders with will map messages label as spam by Gmail to that folder?
No, for the reason just stated. If you feel you need access to messages identified by Gmail as spam, you should consider setting up that account using the IMAP email protocol. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Convert_a_POP ... AP_account
dkw

Re: Thunderbird POP and Gmail Spam

Post by dkw »

Thank you. Going back to IMAP.