TBird 60.3.3 doesn't indicate which bulk e-mails are new

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
X-Force

TBird 60.3.3 doesn't indicate which bulk e-mails are new

Post by X-Force »

Hello,

There used to be a little yellow indicator on the left next to new bulk mail (as there still is for the inbox), and for some reason it doesn't appear anymore (only absent in the bulk mail folder), so I have to go through and look at each email to see which is new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. Registering for this forum was ridiculous. "How many letters are in Mozilla?" I had to google to find a solution. And I found the answer obviously, but I also found that this issue has existed for a LONG time. It's unbelievable that the admin can't find 5 seconds to add the word "unique" to the question. How many thousands of people just gave up in disgust I can't even imagine.

(the answer is 6 if anyone lands on this page searching for the answer)
tanstaafl

Re: TBird 60.3.3 doesn't indicate which bulk e-mails are new

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm used to seeing a folder with new mail having the same icon on the left, but its name get bolded and followed by the new mail count in parentheses if there is new/unread mail. Some very old versions (such as version 3.*) used to change the folder name to a light blue rather than bolding it.

Are you using the default theme?

The normal folder icon in the default theme looks like a yellow paper folder. The inbox folder looks like a old fashioned in tray that you see on desks (with a blue arrow pointing down at it) and the junk folder a orange flame.

Did you just upgrade from version 52.* to 60.*? Version 60.* breaks quite a few add-ons though you can get some that don't indicate that they support version 60 to run if you set extensions.strictCompatibility false using the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general.
X-Force

Post by X-Force »

Thanks for the reply. I'm uncertain what version of TBird I updated from, whatever the previous version was I presume, as I generally install updates as they are offered. I'm using the "TT Deep Dark" theme v 12.0.4, which according to the author is compatible with Tbird 60.3.3
I've emailed the theme author to ask what he thinks. Maybe I'll have to switch back to the default. Honestly, I've been using this theme for so many years I forgot it was even there, so thank you for that. The new mail indicator / icon used to be larger and solid in color (I think the theme author changed it). But, regardless .. I'm getting no indication at all that I have new mail in my "bulk mail" folder.

https://i.ibb.co/b11mMbM/TBird01.jpg
Last edited by Daifne on December 9th, 2018, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed img tags. Size of image breaking forum format.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I installed version 12.0.4 of that theme and don't see that indicator either. I noticed that it also has problems displaying text in the folder pane, folder listing
and address book (but not menus or the help), due to my configuring Thunderbird to use the Verdana font at 17 point using userChrome.css.

I installed version 12.0.3 (which claims to support that indicator) but I couldn't enable it despite it claiming that it supported Thunderbird 60.0 - 61.*
and my having already set extensions.strictCompatibility false using the config editor.

One workaround would be to create a message filter (per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Message_Filters) that sets a custom colored tag for all new mail.
That might work if you rarely use tags. Another would be to create a virtual folder (per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search) that displayed just
new mail. It would have no effect on where the mail is physically stored.

In the future please try to post screen shots that aren't so wide. If you need a high resolution screen shot consider clipping part of it.
Its not possible to view everything in this thread now without using the horizontal scroll bar.
X-Force

Post by X-Force »

Wow. That was ridiculously kind of you to go through that effort for me. I can't thank you enough. Sorry about the screen shot. :/ The theme author responded and said he would make the indicator for the inbox larger, but is unsure what is going on with "Bulk Mail". I'll try the things that you suggested. Again, thank you very much!
--thinking about it, given a choice, I'd rather have no Bulk Mail folder at all and just have everything go to the inbox. I have to pull at least 1 or 2 mails out of the Bulk Mail folder pretty much everyday anyway. Does the mail service decide what's bulk mail or does TBird?

edit .. I think that "saved search" idea will work perfectly for me.
Thanks!
"Anything that can be destroyed by the truth, should be."