HELP!!!! Missing auto text function

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
eskiemom

HELP!!!! Missing auto text function

Post by eskiemom »

At one time "auto text" was available for Thunderbird. I created several different ones years ago, when I first started using Thunderbird. I used it religiously when replying to specific inquiries. When I discovered that it was no longer being supported, I could still find it on the drop down menu and I was able to copy and paste the text in the email that I was replying to. NOW with this most recent upgrade, I cannot find it on the drop down menu!

I get dozens of emails each week! Why and/or where/how can I possibly retrieve this text. It's very lengthy and I can't remember all the information that was in that "auto text/boilerplate." Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the text... there were specific instructions and hyperlinks in the auto text.

Please I need real help! :cry: :cry: :cry:
DanRaisch

Re: HELP!!!! Missing auto text function

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird never provided a built in auto-text function so you must have been using an extension to add that feature. Which extension was that? Perhaps there is an updated version of it that can restore your required function.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
eskiemom

Post by eskiemom »

Gentlemen:

Is it possible that when Thunderbird updated that it deleted my add-ons? I just checked and the only add-on that I have is a Calendar.

DanRaisch I have no idea what extension it was... nor to I remember when I installed it, but I do remember that it kinda stopped working, but was still able to find it when I clicked on one of the menus... and copy the text.

WaltS48 I will try your suggestion... perhaps that was what it was called. thank you.
eskiemom

Post by eskiemom »

Hi Dan!

I found my original post.... Hold onto your hat! Look at the date! and you replied to it! What would suggest replacing the lost add-on? Would the one that Walt suggested be the same, but only updated?

TIA

Posted 12 Mar 2009 06:50 am

I asked this question several years ago, and I don't think I ever got an answer. The time has come now that i need to ask it again.

Here's the scenario:

I receive an individual email from various people and rather than typing the reply every single time, isn't there someway to click on two keys and the the text appears? I know this is something that can be done in Outlook, but I don't know what it's called in Thunderbird and how to do it. I do not want to put it in an email and save it to drafts... that's too cumbersome... I need something that is QUICK and SIMPLE.

TIA
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; GTB5; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
DanRaisch

Post Posted 12 Mar 2009 06:57 am

How about an extension like this one -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1347

To install a Thunderbird extension do the following:
Right click the download link on the extension's home page and choose "Save Link As...". Then, in Thunderbird, go to Tools->Addons->Extensions tab->click on the "Install" button. Navigate to the just downloaded .xpi file and select it. Click on the "Open" button. The installation will now begin. You will need to close and reopen Thunderbird to complete the install.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you find an extension called keyconfig in the list of installed extensions under Tools->Addons?
Thunderbird has been updated multiple times in the nine years since you posted that query. The current version incorporates many changes that have made older extensions incompatible, apparently including keyconfig which may be the one you were using. I'm not aware of any extensions compatible with current versions of TB that would duplicate what you had. Perhaps a Windows utility like ClipX would suit your needs instead -- https://www.techradar.com/news/software ... nts-593312
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

eskiemom wrote:Is it possible that when Thunderbird updated that it deleted my add-ons? I just checked and the only add-on that I have is a Calendar.
Depends upon what you updated from. If it was 52.9.1, yes. From another version of 60.* to 60.3.3, unlikely.

If it was from 52.9.1 if you set extensions.strictCompatibility to false using the config editor and attempt to re-install the missing add-ons they might install. Version 60 by default uninstalled any add-ons that didn't explicitly state they supported at least that version. Setting that setting to false doesn't mean they will work (that depends upon what APIs they use), just that they can be installed.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Some other add-ons to consider are the SmartTemplate4 and the MultiTemplateLoader add-on. The latter supports shortcut keys but I don't know if it will work with 60 or not.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Another add-on with TB 60 support is Clippings: http://aecreations.sourceforge.net/clip ... nstall.php
eskiemom

Post by eskiemom »

OH boy, all of the posts are way over my head... I have no idea what from what version of Thunderbird updated. It updated automatically within the past week or so....
I take that back... I am on 60.3.3 (32-bit)

BTW, I am not being notified when a reply is posted... I did check and my email is correct.