Saving passwords but wrong servers

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
AlfieBrown

Saving passwords but wrong servers

Post by AlfieBrown »

Have latest TB 60.3.3 32 bit.
Have switched to the secure mail server at the same provider from mail.lonex.com deemed "Unsecure" by TB contrary to their tech support, to "Secure" mail.supremecluster.com
Properly set up the accounts Imap and SMTP servers and default ports.
Now everytime I start the TB, I have to retype 'new" passwords to each of my 20 accounts, and again for the SMTP.
New Password Required for mail.supremecluster,con .... not the server I am typing the "new" password for and check the checkbox Save
Have checked Tools/Options/Security Show Passwords - and yes the 'new" passwords were there, but for the old server mail.lonex.com.
Have removed all passwords completely, rebooted, and started the TB.
Again I had to reenter the passwords - that was expected, but again it saved the wrong, old server mail.lonex.com.
Of course the mail does not work.
I considered reinstalling the Thunderbird, but in the past I have lost all my database of over 5000 email doing that.
How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tony
tanstaafl

Re: Saving passwords but wrong servers

Post by tanstaafl »

You should not lose your profile (which has your downloaded mail, address books, settings, saved passwords, add-ons etc.) if you uninstall Thunderbird unless you explicitly check the checkbox to delete your data. However, I suspect your problem is in your profile and re-installing will not help.

What is the URL for their help page on how to configure a email client?

Is connection security set to SSL/TLS or StartTLS in the account? That is what determines if the connection is secure. StartTLS starts with a insecure connection that is upgraded to a secure one. It is supposed to fail if it can't do that but its possible that feature broke (regression bug).

It would help if you cut/pasted JUST the mail & news account section from help -> troubleshooting information. "Include account names" is unchecked by default, so it shouldn't have any information such as a email address that you need to keep private. This information would save a lot of questions. The rest of that "troubleshooting information" page is not needed.

Do a search for mail.lonex.com using the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general. If you deleted that mail servers passwords and deleted both its old account and the associated smtp server configuration it used I'd normally expect that to remove all references to the mail server.

Did you modify the old account to use new settings or create a new one? The latter is much less error prone.
DanRaisch

Re: Saving passwords but wrong servers

Post by DanRaisch »

HOW did you switch the server for that account? Did you add a new account using the correct server settings or did you tweak/modify the settings for the existing account set up in Thunderbird?
AlfieBrown

Password manager corrupt

Post by AlfieBrown »

have latest Thunderbird 60.3.3. and started having problem with Password manager not recognizing the saved passwords - login failing, requesting new psw for all my accounts.
The reason at first was understandable, because I have switched to the supposedly secure mail server.
I have retyped the same password for the mail server the password was requested for, and saved it.
The mail worked with the same old password.
When checking my Options/security/saved passwords, the pws were saved under my old mail server name, not the new one.
This is going on even after I have switched back to the not-secure mail server as before.
Have removed all saved passwords, exited the TB and rebooted - repeated this with the empty password list 3 or 4 times.
Still I have found the old servers and passwords reappearing in my saved passwords.
It even saved the passwords to mail servers I had 3 years ago that are still in the local database in Data/Profile/Imap mail.
I realized that the Password manager is picking the server settings not from the Imap/SMTP server account settings, but from my local Data/Profile/Imap mail storage.
I have over 18,000 messages in my database, and do not want to loose any.
How do I fix this problem?

Please, any nondestructive idea is welcomed.
Thank you in advance