Can't View Remote Content

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cjc75

Can't View Remote Content

Post by cjc75 »

For starters, my TB version is 52.9.1

So.

When opening an email there would be a little button near the upper right that I could click on to select a number of links that would activate the "remote content" in the email.

But due to my own ignorance, I was always stuck in TLDR mode and would just click on the first links in the list regardless of however many there were; while Thunderbird would only accept my clicking on 2 of them before it closed the list for good and never showed it again, so some emails had more then 2 and it was a gamble for me to get all the remote content to be visible....

My ignorance there being, that I never paid attention to the final option on that list being something like, "accept all of the above"

Finally, I realized that was there, and started clicking on it.

Then I got tired of doing that, and googled how to get my emails to just download the content automatically when opening them.

Google showed me that was under tools>options>privacy

Now my emails automatically download all their content....

All my emails that is, except for all the ones with content that I had previously tried to accept with the original method described above. These would be emails that I'm subscribed to; for example... news from startrek.com, or the mailing list from microcenter.com - emails I had been receiving for years, and countless others like them. Now every time a NEW email from these services shows up in my Thunderbird Inbox, it does not ask me about downloading remote content, nor does it download any such content, leaving the email mostly blank with a bunch of locations for empty images that its not downloading.

For the life of me, I can not figure out how to fix this, and it is becoming very annoying... as part of this problem is compounded by the fact that I am currently an exclusive Alpha Tester for an elite AAA PC Game currently in development, I have direct communication with the development team and signed an NDA with them. They send me regular emails with their update notes on their patch builds, emails that often include various remote content that I now can not see; and these are sometimes screenshots of something on their end that they want us Testers to look for on our end.

I've only just recently upgraded to TB ver. 52.9.1 as I had... for the loooongest time, been an old fart who was all hung up on sticking with one of the old 1.0.x releases... because I was of the mind set "if it works, dont update/fix it" ...and I never HAD, any issues with remote content with that one. I only updated because my ISP made recent changes on their end, that required an update on my end.

Now that I've updated... I've got all these problems with remote content not showing up.

How do I fix this?
tanstaafl

Re: Can't View Remote Content

Post by tanstaafl »

Go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Exceptions and review what web sites/email addresses are allowed to load remote images. Delete any that were added by mistake.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Privacy_basic ... derbird%29 has more information.

If that doesn't help make certain that you did not change mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image to false (as that allows all remote images) using the config editor.
cjc75

Post by cjc75 »

There is nothing "blocked" under exceptions...

Also, if they're listed as "allowed" then why would I delete them from that list?

I don't know how to check, or do the other thing you mentioned...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Also, if they're listed as "allowed" then why would I delete them from that list?"

Because apparently some of them you don't want to display remote images by default anymore. That's why I used the word "review". It doesn't matter whether they got added by you explicitly adding them via tools -> options or by clicking on the link for the message, they're all listed as exceptions
cjc75

Post by cjc75 »

Ok I've removed a bunch from that list...
But there is no change in how any of my emails show their content.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It might not take effect until you restart Thunderbird.
cjc75

Post by cjc75 »

I've restarted TB several times, but still no change...
Also I am about to call it a night, so forgive if I do not respond to your next reply, until later tomorrow!
cjc75

Post by cjc75 »

Still looking for a fix for this...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Many of the email's that I get have multiple potential entries (not just the From: email address) that I could enable for remote images. Perhaps you missed deleting some. I'd look for a pattern in what messages this problem occurs with.

Worst case I'd try deleting every entry in the exceptions (and restarting Thunderbrid again) so that you know you are starting from scratch.
cjc75

Post by cjc75 »

Ok, I deleted ALL the links under Exceptions, and then restarted Thunderbird.

Still no change.

All my emails still have blank spots where all the images are supposed to be.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"All my emails still have blank spots where all the images are supposed to be."

That is whats supposed to happen when you delete all of the permissions (exceptions). You were initially complaining that messages that you didn't want to display remote images were displaying them, and you couldn't turn it off. You finished that step. The next step is to selectively add permission for remote images for the desired senders/locations. I suggest you consider doing that just for senders that you get mail from regularly, and rely upon pressing the options button and choosing "show remote content in this message" for everybody else (that doesn't create an exception). Otherwise you might eventually have to do this all over again.

Thunderbird really should have a show remote content button that you can add to the toolbar. I don't know if you could add a custom one using the toolbar buttons add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ns/?src=ss since the forum at https://codefisher.org/forum/ is currently unreachable. But http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2866097 describes how to add a keyboard shortcut to show remote content. Another possibility if you automatically file many messages in the appropriate folder using message filters is to use the remote content by folder add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... er/?src=ss to enable show remote content based on the folder the message is in.
cjc75

Post by cjc75 »

Well actually...
My original complaint was that I could not see ANY images at all, and that I wanted too.

But I think I got it working now, I had to go back into tools>options>privacy and uncheck the box for "allow remote content" and now its giving me the "options" button on my emails again that lets me click on the links to download the content. Of course this time chising the option for "download all of the above"...

Its a nuisance, that I have to do this for every email now, and it would be nice if my emails would just do it automatically like they did on my previous version of TB, but oh well... though of course as my regular emails get their links updated, then I won't have to worry about doing it to them again.