MozillaZine

AOL Mail: using TB POP3 after 2020-03-02

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
CBA

Post Posted February 14th, 2020, 7:58 am

In my AOL (Compuserve) account profile I have this setting activated: Allow apps that use less secure sign in (This option will be going away on March 2nd, 2020).

I use POP Mail (I don't want IMAP). What happens after March 2nd, when/if this setting goes away? Do I have to reconfigure my TB account settings so that I can continue to download mail by POP3? Presumably sending via SMTP is not affected.

My TB settings:
---
server: pop.csi.com
port: 995
SSL/TLS
normal password
---
server: smtp.csi.com
port: 587
normal password
STARTTLS
---

Thanks.

kerft

Post Posted February 14th, 2020, 8:18 am

See here, for AOL all of this is the same for Thunderbird wherever it says Seamonkey. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3057578

CBA

Post Posted February 14th, 2020, 9:16 am

kerft wrote:See here, for AOL all of this is the same for Thunderbird wherever it says Seamonkey. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3057578

Thanks. To summarize from that thread: ...create an application-specific alpha-numeric password for each external mail client that will have access to your mail .. using the tool in the user account security screen. When it is generated you need to copy and save it. Then go to Thunderbird client and use the app-specific password for accessing mail...

I have my Compuserve email address since the time of dial-up and 2,400 baud modems and don't want to lose it. Otherwise I would dump AOL-Yahoo in a second. Again, thanks for the tip. Hope it works in the real world!

sfhowes

Post Posted February 14th, 2020, 11:48 am

The Compuserve servers appear to be the same as the AOL servers, i.e. pop.csi.com and pop.aol.com have the same IP, so you could apply OAuth2 authentication to the account and not have to enable less-secure apps or create an app password. OAuth2 is supported for Yahoo, AOL, gmail POP since TB 68.5.

CBA

Post Posted February 14th, 2020, 12:05 pm

sfhowes wrote:The Compuserve servers appear to be the same as the AOL servers, i.e. pop.csi.com and pop.aol.com have the same IP, so you could apply OAuth2 authentication to the account and not have to enable less-secure apps or create an app password. OAuth2 is supported for Yahoo, AOL, gmail POP since TB 68.5.

The servers are the same. If I change my TB account setup to pop.aol.com I get my Compuserve mail as usual. No difference. I'm still on TB 38.8.0 by choice (better UI and add-ons) so I have to use the app-password for now. But, good to know about the OAuth2 as of TB 68.5 as I have to move up one day.

CBA

Post Posted February 14th, 2020, 2:26 pm

It seems I'm not alone looking for a solution. Here is another one of many links: https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1272914 .. but, most people use OAuth2 authentication with IMAP and not POP. Wonder if I can use OAuth2 with AOL using TB 68.5 ++ and POP3.

CBA

Post Posted February 15th, 2020, 3:00 am

Thanks to @kerft and @sfhowes and others in the links provided!

I took the plunge and unchecked "enable less-secure apps" and created an "app-password" with AOL's password generator as instructed. Then I changed the POP and SMTP passwords (same) in my TB 38.8.0 privacy settings (using add-on "Saved Password Editor").

After restarting TB I checked mail (both send and receive) and everything worked fin on 1st try. I did the same on another AOL account and, ditto, it seems to work fine. I hope it stays that way also during travel and/or using a VPN (changing IP address).

As for the AOL generated passwords, they indeed look less secure .. lacking caps, numbers and special characters .. compared to what I have used (GRC).

Return to Thunderbird Support