forwarded email appears blank

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
keatzilla

forwarded email appears blank

Post by keatzilla »

I've a user on TB, who forwarded an email to a user on outlook 2003.
The Outlook 2003 appears blank, there's no body content.

I forwarded the same email to another TB user, and the body content is in tact.
I forwarded it to a second Outlook 2003 user and it's blank.

I can see the body content if I interrogate the message on our mail server, so I know the body content is there, but I've no ideas why Outlook 2003 can;'t see it.

Any ideas please ?
glisa

Re: forwarded email appears blank

Post by glisa »

Sounds like I'm having the same issue. It started after being asked to sign into our AOL account a few days after the new update. I catch all the emails from our two accounts. When forwarding an email to my boss (from either account) he doesn't get the body of the message.

So far, the workaround has been either:
-Send it as "plain text".
-Delete the red "forwarded message" table header.
-Open up Outlook for the one account (where we have the same domain name) or AOL on a browser.

What hasn't worked after researching:
-View>Headers>Normal
-Composition>Inline

When checking the forwarded email in "Sent" it shows the body of the forwarded email just fine.

So far, deleting the red header table before sending is the best/easiest option. But, this isn't something that was necessary before the update.
keatzilla

Post by keatzilla »

I Also fond that removing the table header seems to alleviate the problem.
However, the Thunderbird users at my end are thick, I'll ask them to do this, but I know they'll forget.

I just sent one to an Outlook 2013 user and she can see the content, I can see it on TB, but my Outlook 2003 user cannot.
Same email resent from the mail server.
keatzilla

Post by keatzilla »

It seems sending as plain text might fix the issue.

Tools, Options, Composition, Send Options, convert to plain text.

I set a rule, anything sent to my own domain gets converted as plaint text, until maybe someone comes along with a better answer.
glisa

Post by glisa »

I had set that Tools/Options rule as well but see I had left it at convert to HTML and plain text. I've changed it to just plain text. He's on vacation this week so it will be next week before I'll know if it works.

If it doesn't, it's simple enough for me to remove the red header table as I only forward things to my boss.

I can't believe this hasn't been reported as a bug OR that more people aren't having an issue with it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I just sent one to an Outlook 2013 user and she can see the content, I can see it on TB, but my Outlook 2003 user cannot.
I can't believe this hasn't been reported as a bug OR that more people aren't having an issue with it.
If there is a bug somewhere, that first statement would seem to suggest that the issue is with Outlook 2003.
glisa

Post by glisa »

DanRaisch wrote:
If there is a bug somewhere, that first statement would seem to suggest that the issue is with Outlook 2003.
For me, I'm having issues sending from Thunderbird with both the AOL and Outlook accounts going out with the body of forwarded emails empty. It's only if I remove the red header table box that they go through okay with the forwarded message intact.
keatzilla

Post by keatzilla »

How could anyone suggest that the fault is with outlook 2003.
Outlook 2003 came along first, and didn't have this issue until very recently.
The issue has to be something within TB not formatting the email correctly.

As Glisa pointed out, removing the red header table, seems to also resolve the issue, but then the recipient doesn't get to see where the email originated.
I've no idea when this came about, but I can say that I wasn't notified of such until around the start of November
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, Outlook 2003 came out first, but as Outlook 2013 does not show the same issue, it would seem there was an issue with Outlook that was resolved in the 2013 version of that client. It could be something to do with email standards with which Thunderbird and Outlook 2013 are compliant but 2003 is not. This could have been something that came out after Outlook 2003 was released.
keatzilla

Post by keatzilla »

Hi Dan

I don't wish to come over as argumentative.
I'm not aware of this issue occurring before maybe mid-October, early November.
Outlook 2003 has been out of support for ages, so unlikely to have had any updates which would cause this, so the only culprit has to be some form of change in TB.
Outlook 2013 users can send to 2003, I'd suggest that the common denominator here is Thunderbird, and possibly an update 8-10 weeks ago ???

However, whatever is causing this, it's a culmination of forwarding HTML emails, which include the 'red headers' table.
I suspect the red headers table is doing something which Outlook 2003 doesn't understand, which then strips out the html content.

Other than regular TB users, are there any techs on here ??
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The issue is not lack of knowledge its that you don't provide anything for somebody to work with that doesn't have Outlook 2003.

I forwarded a HTML message to my Outlook account using Thunderbird 78.5.1 It looks fine. I also looked at it using outlook webmail. It also looks fine. The only time I see the "red headers" table is in the Thunderbird compose message window when forwarding the message. The information in it is displayed normally in the received message. I searched the official forums on SUMO and couldn't find a similar thread which makes me suspect its not a wide spread problem.

I suggest you install the 78.0 en-us 64bit windows version of Thunderbird from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 2078.0.exe in a separate directory using custom setup and see if it causes the same problem. If it does not then submit a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home where you report the problem and mention that you can't duplicate it using 78.0. You'll probably need to create a new profile to do this. Don't bother to add more than just the one account needed. It would help if you attach a copy of a message (save it as a .eml file) that causes this problem in the bug report. There is a button in the bug report form to let you attach files to it.

When you're done you can use the about:profiles link in help -> troubleshooting information to delete the new profile you added and specify that your old one should be used by default.

If you're willing to try to narrow down further when the bug was introduced see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird for links to other setup programs.
glisa

Post by glisa »

We're still having issues with forwarded emails from both AOL and Outlook sending from Thunderbird. I think the issues started for us when we had to sign in to the AOL account to begin using the OAUTH setup and not so much when I first got the big, new update. If I delete it out of the saved passwords, it only asks for it again upon opening TB. Although I don't know why that affects the email from Outlook.

Earlier this year, I tried downloading the 64-bit but it still showed 32-bit in the "About TB" under Help. Frankly, I don't know how to try to install TB under a separate directory. Even with the 78.5.1 it's still showing 32-bit.

@tanstaafl - could you point me in the direction of instructions on how to try to install TB 64-bit in another directory and what that means exactly?

Being that the issue is occuring with both AOL and Outlook, it seems it's a TB issue, even if it is limited to a handful of us. We'd never used Outlook before until this summer. We only got it when we signed up through GoDaddy to have a shorter URL for emails. Another interesting bit of info. When I first added the Outlook email to TB, mail wouldn't send out. I could only get it to work if I use "smtpout.secureserver.net" as the outgoing server, which is not the newer outgoing server info.

If I log into AOL and Outlook webmail both on the Chrome browser I have no issues forwarding emails with the body intact. The only other issue, which does seem to be a Outlook quirk is that sending an email from me to boss (using that same shorter URL doman) lands in his spam. I've tried all I know to do on that end but it occurs both in TB or on the browser.

I love TB but it's been quite annoying to have to take out the forwarded header (which never used to be inside a red table before) AND to have to have it delivered as plain text.

As yet another aside, replying/forwarding to anyone else (customers, family members, etc.) doesn't seem to present this "empty body" syndrome.

I've checked my boss's settings on his side and all seems okay. He does NOT use TB - just opens up AOL and Outlook in the browser.

Sorry this is so long! I keep thinking of oddities that could be the culprit!
keatzilla

Post by keatzilla »

I installed 78.0 to send a known failed email, but I can recreate the fault with 78.0, so I guess that this may have been going on for longer than my clients are suggesting.
Still stumped though.

Just a message to Glisa, when installing don't select the default options, ie next, next next, instead choose custom
When it asks for an install location, change the one it suggests to somewhere else.
Instead of program files/mozilla (or what ever), change it to program files/TB

When it's installed, pull out the network cable fast, otherwise, it will update its self to the latest version, which defeats the object.
Then under tools>options, disable auto update before refitting the network cable.
glisa

Post by glisa »

@keatzilla - Thanks for info on installing the 64-bit into another directory. I did so just now and disabled the automatic update to 76.0. It's close to the end of the workday so I'll add one of our email accounts tomorrow and see what happens. I want to save some of our most important recent emails before doing anything!
mathbook

Post by mathbook »

I too have the problem that forwarding to a non-thunderbird email erases the message body.
My 2 workarounds are 1) copy the message body, forward, delete forwarded body, and paste the old message body
or 2) forward as attachment

I wish I had refused the upgrade to 8.x in the first place as I also lost "redirecting."