MozillaZine

Move install from D to C

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Jake5319

Post Posted February 23rd, 2021, 1:14 pm

Original install is to D:\Program Files (x86). Profile on C:
Now I want to move the install back to C:\Program Files (x86) and remove my D: drive.
I see a lot of "D:\Program Files (x86) ..." paths in the registry.
Can I just reinstall to C: drive and use same profile or do I have to make changes to registry?

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 23rd, 2021, 3:29 pm

You don't need to muck with the registry. It wouldn't do any good anyways because its various *.ini files that effect your problem.

Before version 68 you could just uninstall Thunderbird and re-install it wherever you want. When you restarted Thunderbird it would automatically find and reuse your profile based on the data stored in profiles.ini. But now profiles are associated with the location of a specific installation directory. That's why you have stuff like

[InstallE41F2966A2E1B9F4]
Default=Profiles/feu8hx1l.default-release
Locked=1

to register your profile instead of stuff like

[Profile7]
Name=default-release-1
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/h1crpt0i.default-release-1

in profiles.ini. The E41F2966A2E1B9F4 is a hash of the Thunderbird installation path associated with that profile. The contents of installs.ini now also matter. We're stuck with this "feature" due to it being added to Gecko (Mozilla layout/browser engine) at the request of the Firefox developers.

I suggest you uninstall Thunderbird, re-install wherever you want and if when you run Thunderbird it automatically starts the new account wizard abort the wizard, click on about:profiles in help -> troubleshooting information, and press the "set as default profile" button next to your old profile.

If you don't already know where your profile is click on Open folder (for the profile, not update history) in help -> troubleshooting information. That will open windows explorer at the current profile. The reason why you want to know this is if the new account wizard is automatically run it will create another profile (with nothing useful in it because you haven't created any accounts) and you don't want to accidentally select it.

Its possible it might complain your version is incompatible with your profile instead of running the new account wizard. In either case you need to use the about:profiles link.

Jake5319

Post Posted Yesterday, 5:19 pm

@tanstaafl

Thanks,
I did the uninstall/reinstall (78.8.0 64bit vs old 32bit) on C: drive and per your instruction set old profile as default.

Thunderbird now looks exactly the same, all email there, and it works except for one thing:

Every time I click a link from within an email, it used to just open a new tab in Firefox. Now I get a pop-up:
"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window."

If I click "Close Firefox" it kinda works, but starts a new window and I have to recover whatever was in the running Firefox.
If Firefox not running, it works and no pop-up, but then restore last session doesn't work.

Neither TB or FF were recent installs except for this uninstall/reinstall of TB.

I've tried everything in this: "https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-already-running-not-responding" except for the last item, Restore data from a locked profile. Will look at that.

Any ideas?

tanstaafl

Post Posted Yesterday, 6:38 pm

I assume you already tried fiddling with the Firefox options to "open links in new tabs rather than windows" etc.

Try changing the browser Thunderbird launches per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Changing_the_ ... hunderbird to launching firefox in private mode in a new tab using a -private -new-tab command line argument.

Do you have anything else that launches Firefox with the same problem?

Jake5319

Post Posted Today, 9:11 am

After a reboot everything works. Thanks for your help.

Return to Thunderbird Support