open thunderbird
minimize thunderbird
thunderbird icon shows up on taskbar as it should
maximize thunderbird
icon still shows in tray
close thunderbird (do close/window on taskbar or just click on 'X' to close it
thunderbird icon, still shows on taskbar as being minimized
--------------
move mouse cursor close to the thunderbird icon on the taskbar - disappears like it
should when being closed.
--------------------
repeat steps between the '---'
open thunderbird
icon on taskbar is still there even after thunderbird had been closed and is now open again, full screen
move mouse cursor close to the thunderbird icon on the taskbar - disappears like it
should when being closed. if you don't do this step, it will continually show
the icon in the tray as being opened/minimized, even though it's not
it appears thunderbird is missing a command to close the application in the tray
when if minimized, you're maximizing it or closing it.
tbirdphil

Re: application not closing in tray

Post by tbirdphil »

one other thing. open thuderbird, minimize so tray icon shows up, maximize thunderbird then close. one icon still in tray. now just open thunderbird, minimize it, maximize it,close it. repeat several times. . it will just keep putting additional icons in the tray
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I just tried to duplicate your problem using TB 78.9.1 under version 20H2 of Windows 10 Home and it worked as expected. In my case the Thunderbird icon was briefly visible in the tray but was quickly hidden as one of the hidden icons.

I looked in settings -> taskbar -> notification area -> select which icons appear on the task bar and Thunderbird was set to off. I set it to on and tried again. This time it shows up in the system tray and remains visible. When I maximize Thunderbird the icon is gone from the tray. I exited TB, restarted it and minimized it - its now back in the tray.

I suggest you try running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if one of your add-ons might be the culprit. You might try restarting Windows since this is a system tray related problem.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-set ... tion-area/
tbirdphil

Post by tbirdphil »

checked settings/taskbar/notification area/select which icons appear on the taskbar
emclient was on and thunderbird wasn't even in the list
set tb as default and got it to show up, so turned emclient off and tb on

In thunderbird, went to tools/options/general/system integration and checked 'always check to see if thunderbird is the default mail client on startup' , verified tb was set to default, and checked 'when thunderbird is minimized, move it to the tray'.

with a little more trial & error, i found out what was happening. on the taskbar, among other things, i have pinned thunderbird there. if i click on it, tb opens. minimize it, the tb icon shows up in the systray. now here's the difference of what i did vs. what you did:

if, after opening tbird and minimizing it, i click on the tbird icon in the systray, tb will open up and the icon in systray will disappear like it did for you and everything's wonderful no matter how many times i repeat it..

what i was doing was, after opening tbird and minimizing it, instead of clicking on the icon in the systray, i clicked on my tb icon on the taskbar(on the left, where items get 'pinned'. if i click on that icon, and open tb, then minimize it, a second icon appears in the systray area. repeat opening,minimizing,maximizing, closing and a third icon appears in the systray, etc.

i repeated this exercise with emclient just to see what it does, and it works right regardless of which way you do it. it's just a minor bug i suppose, but you might try it and see if you can duplicate it the way i did it. thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If I minimize Thunderbird it shows up in the system tray. If I then start it again by clicking on the normal icon in the task bar (not the system tray) it launches. The TB icon in the system tray is still there. When I close TB the icon is still in the system tray until I hover the mouse over it. Then it disappears.

I can never get multiple copies of the TB icon in the system tray even if I open both TB via the the taskbar icon, minimize it and open the address book via the taskbar icon and minimize it too. Task manager claims two copies of Thunderbird are running, which if I expand it are listed as "address book" and "inbox - Fastmail - Mozilla Thunderbird". If I right click on the taskbar icon and "close all windows" that closes TB, the address book and removes the TB icon in the system tray too.

If TB is not running at all and you launch "open address book" using the taskbar icon and minimize the window that doesn't create a TB icon in the system tray. I assume that's because they treat the address book process as a different application, not a additional instance of Thunderbird.

Other than it being ambiguous which TB process is running if I see the TB icon in the system tray it all seems to work correctly.
tbirdphil

Post by tbirdphil »

ok, with tb not running and launching notebook from the icon, i totally get the same result as you - no icon in systray when minimizing it. i don't know, maybe i'm not making myself clear on my instructions or my tb/windows just works different for some reason even tho we're on the same version of tbird and windows. if i do:

left-click tb icon on taskbar to open
minimize tb - icon now in systray
left-click on the tb icon on taskbar to maximize tb and close using the 'x' button (tb icon still in systray)
left-click tbe icon on taskbar to open tb
minimize tb - now two tb icons in systray
left-click on icon on taskbar to maximize tb and close using the 'x' button)
two tb icons still in tray
(note: sometimes they don't show in the systray per se, if you click on the ^ in the systray to 'show hidden icons' they show up there)
at this point, tb is all closed, but there are still two tb icons in the systray (clicking on the ^ to show hidden icons' ), however....if i just hover the mouse close to these icons, they will all disappear and all is 'normal' as they did when you hovered near them. this is what you duplicated in your first paragraph. if you had continued on, it sounds like you would have duplicated what i did above. multiple icons in systray, but hovering over them makes them disappear.

thanks for the time you've spent trying to dupe this for me.