Delay between sending emails due in Outgoing folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
richiehustle

Delay between sending emails due in Outgoing folder

Post by richiehustle »

I am bugged by constant error messages popping up, probably because of SMTP server restriction of my email service.
Whenever I have a lot of emails pile up in my Outgoing folder and they being sent out, I am getting error message: "Error logging in/entering server".
That might be avoided by setting longer delay time between sending emails.
How can this be done in Thunderbird?

Thank you
DanRaisch

Re: Delay between sending emails due in Outgoing folder

Post by DanRaisch »

A bit of clarification, please. Are you using the "File->Send Later" menu path (or hot key combination "Ctrl+Shift+Enter") to store a number of messages before sending them out en masse?
What version of Thunderbird?
How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Normally you can send all of the queued messages in the outgoing folder in one step.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... -3/?src=ss lets you create a shortcut to specify how long a delay before a message is sent. The problem is that even if you use the shortcut if you're running into a server based limit on the number of simultaneous logins the additional delay might not solve the problem all of the time. Could you use a different accounts (i.e. different email provider) SMTP server instead?
richiehustle

Post by richiehustle »

Hi
Thank you for your input
I am pretty sure that setting longer wait period between each message being sent will fix this
I just don't know where to change those settings
There is not simualteneous connection
There is sequential connection, it just happens to quick with little delay that triggers server error (sending to many email within a short period of time)
Can you adjust that time without addons?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you using the "File->Send Later" menu path (or hot key combination "Ctrl+Shift+Enter") to store a number of messages before sending them out en masse?
What version of Thunderbird?
How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
You haven't answered my questions. If that is the procedure you are using then there is no timed delay and it is a simultaneous send. When the "Send Unsent messages" menu option is clicked on, all messages held in the "Outbox" folder under Local Folders are sent en masse.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I second the request that you answer Dan's questions.

"Can you adjust that time without addons?"

I'm not aware of a way to do that. You seem fairly certain you need to add a delay, I'm skeptical. I don't remember anybody else needing to ever do that.

Who is your email provider? (the name of the company, NOT your email address)
richiehustle

Post by richiehustle »

tanstaafl wrote:I second the request that you answer Dan's questions.

"Can you adjust that time without addons?"

I'm not aware of a way to do that. You seem fairly certain you need to add a delay, I'm skeptical. I don't remember anybody else needing to ever do that.

Who is your email provider? (the name of the company, NOT your email address)
Yahoo
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I used send later on 4 messages I composed using my yahoo account and then used file -> send unsent messages to send all of them at once. Each message had a small attachment (256KB to 2MB).

They all arrived over a 2 minute period. I did not get any error messages. I'm using OAuth2 authentication in both the IMAP and the SMTP server. What authentication method are you using?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

tanstaafl wrote: "Can you adjust that time without addons?"

I'm not aware of a way to do that. You seem fairly certain you need to add a delay, I'm skeptical. I don't remember anybody else needing to ever do that.)
If these are all going to a mailing list, you may be able to use a feature of the Mail Merge add-on.

I ran into a need to do this when using Mail Merge to send individually-addressed messages into the Outgoing folder for a newsletter I had to send out for an organization. If I had a bunch going to a particular server (don't recall which one it was for sure, think it was Yahoo) the first few would go okay but at some point the receiving server started rejecting the additional messages as spam.

To solve it I separated the addresses for the problem server into their own separate mailing list and sent them via Mail Merger directly, not placing them into Outbound first, using Mail Merge's capability of adding a delay between messages. In this case, I found a 1-minute delay worked but never took the time to experiment to see if a shorter delay would have been okay.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
richiehustle

Post by richiehustle »

Still have no clue how to make it work. And it has practically nothing to do with Send Later addon.
Even if for some reason I stack up 30 emails in my Outgoing folder - if they start being sent, then it will take like 8-10 emails to be sent before error will be triggered because of the frequency of sending. I was trying to find a way how to put a delay (in console of Thunderbird or whatever) that say they would be sent every 30 seconds or every 1 minute)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I was trying to find a way how to put a delay (in console of Thunderbird or whatever) that say they would be sent every 30 seconds or every 1 minute)
There is no such functionality available in Thunderbird. If you use the "File->Send Later" (or Ctrl+Shift+Enter) command to queue messages in the Outbox folder for later sending, triggering the send ("File->Send Unsent Messages) simply flushes that Outbox queue to their respective SMTP servers. There is no delay capability available in that process. You would have to trigger the "Send Unsent Messages" more frequently (to minimize the number of outgoing messages in the queue) or find another work around.
adityo.ariwibowo

Post by adityo.ariwibowo »

richiehustle wrote:Still have no clue how to make it work. And it has practically nothing to do with Send Later addon.
Even if for some reason I stack up 30 emails in my Outgoing folder - if they start being sent, then it will take like 8-10 emails to be sent before error will be triggered because of the frequency of sending. I was trying to find a way how to put a delay (in console of Thunderbird or whatever) that say they would be sent every 30 seconds or every 1 minute)
I'm also looking for this functionality. I'm using thunderbird to send email to the member of my organisation which consist of 800ish email. To stay under gmail 'googled' limit of 100 email per hour I need to put pauses in between email in my outbox after using mail merge.

I hope thunderbird will develop this functionality.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You might see if the Send Later extension would be helpful -- https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... d-later-3/
You could create a number of "Mailing Lists" ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mailing_lists ) with 100 or less addresses in each. Then you can compose a message, save it as a template, and send out 8 (or more) duplicates of that template, each addressed to one of the mailing lists and use the "Send Later" extension to space out the actual forwarding of the messages to the server. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Message_templates By doing that Google would see it as 8 individual messages with less than 100 addressees per message.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Many email providers count sending a message to N recipients as sending N messages, when calculating limits.
https://lagrowthmachine.com/gmail-email-limits/ claims gmail supports up to 500 messages per day but their limits are flexible, you may run into them earlier if they think you are acting like a spam bot by suddenly increasing your usage.

I pay for a subscription to fastmail.com as my main email provider. Their cheapest plan ($30/year) supports sending 4k messages per day. In addition to the daily limits, there is a per-minute limit of 100 messages and 100 MB.

That might give you more options if its not practical to use multiple mailing lists. Upgrading gmail to Google Workspace is another possibility.

https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/arti ... unt-limits
https://www.gmass.co/blog/understanding ... ng-limits/
richiehustle

Post by richiehustle »

There was a great app AFAIK BlunderDelay, but it stopped being supported on new TB ver.