Message Filters

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TClint2021

Message Filters

Post by TClint2021 »

I created a message filter to get rid of some some of the spam mail I am getting.
I named it Block List,
I checked Manually Run and Getting New Mail (filter before junk classification),
Match any of the following , Add email addresses to list. Perform these Actions: Delete Message.
It works great, when it got enough in it it got slow, I added Block List 2 and it still works fine.
Now I added Block List 3 and this one doesn't work even though it is set up exactly like the other two lists.
DanRaisch

Re: Message Filters

Post by DanRaisch »

What version of Thunderbird?
How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

TClint2021 wrote:It works great, when it got enough in it it got slow, I added Block List 2 and it still works fine.
Are you adding email addresses to the block list? Also, are you manually flagging the messages as junk at all?

Peace...
TClint2021

Post by TClint2021 »

I have version 78.10.0 set up as an IMAP mail server.
yes, I copy the email address and add it to the block list.
As the junk emails appear in my trash folder, I flag them as junk.
gkdiamond

Post by gkdiamond »

I currently have 17 different filters and they all work as they should in both version 68 and 78. There is a size problem especially in version 78 where it really slows down and/or does not respond and swaps the Message Filters and Filter Rules windows back and forth. I went back to version 68 because it handled filters much better before I figured out that size was the issue. After I split up the filter into smaller filters they ran very fast in 78 with none of the mentioned problems. I am now seeing the same issue with my two largest filters so I will have to split them again.

In your [Block List] filters you can Set Junk Status to Junk to automatically flag them as junk in your trash folder.