Thunderbird randomly freezes

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Mike109

Thunderbird randomly freezes

Post by Mike109 »

I recently started using a new Windows 10 PC. It only has Thunderbird 78 & Firefox 92 on it.

Several times a day TB would open to a blank screen which said "Not responding" in the upper left corner. The only way to close it is to power off the PC. A few times FF also locked up but not recently.

I ran sfc /scannow which indicated it was repairing or replacing files. TB & FF worked great for 5 days, but then TB froze 3 times within an hour. It cannot be closed in task manager or using taskkill. The PC has to be powered off.

Last night I restored a drive image. It had earlier versions of TB & FF and I updated these. They worked OK for 24 hours, then TB opened to a blank screen & "Not responding" again.

Is there anything in Event Viewer that could indicate what is wrong? I created a dump file in Task Manager before I powered off the PC. Might there be something in there that would indicate the problem?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird randomly freezes

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have any extensions installed in Thunderbird? Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.