TB 91 - ANY addon causes problems

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ErsatzOrangeTang

TB 91 - ANY addon causes problems

Post by ErsatzOrangeTang »

Just updated from 32-bit TB 78 to 32-bit 9.1.1.1 from within the application itself (via help > about).

1) TB 91 launches, but while it shows my addons being active, none work.
2) Toggling them on and off does nothing
3) Quitting and restarting causes "Thunderbird is still running" error. Closing TB through this dialog allows me to launch it. All addons show as enabled, but none work.
4) As long as it's in this state (addons "enabled" but none working) any time I quit TB does not close cleanly.
5) If I kill the process I can start in safe mode without addons just fine. If while in safe mode I disable all my addons, I can launch and close Thunderbird without errors.
6) If I enable ANY addons after launching clean, they work fine, but TB stops closing cleanly and addons will not work after I kill the process and relaunch. Note: this is not happening when a specific (or all) addons are enabled. It happens if ANY addons are enabled. This includes ones up to date for 91 (quickfolders, cardbook, etc).

What's going on?
tanstaafl

Re: TB 91 - ANY addon causes problems

Post by tanstaafl »

I suspect some of the add-ons that explicitly say they work with 91 still have problems or don't play nicely with others. I'm using just the "compact headers" and "expression search - NG" add-ons without any problems.

I suggest you uninstall all of your extensions. Then check the web pages for the add-ons you want to see if they explicitly state they support 91. If they do install one, test for a while, and then install another until you identify the culprit(s).
ErsatzOrangeTang

tanstaafl wrote:I suspect some of the add-ons that explicitly say they work with 91 still have problems or don't play nicely with others. I'm using just the "compact headers" and "expression search - NG" add-ons without any problems.

I suggest you uninstall all of your extensions. Then check the web pages for the add-ons you want to see if they explicitly state they support 91. If they do install one, test for a while, and then install another until you identify the culprit(s).
I did exactly this:

1) Removed all addons, closed Thunderbird.
2) Opened Thunderbird, it opened cleanly.
3) Installed Compact Headers
4) Activated it, and it worked.
5) Closed TB
6) Opened TB without issue.
7) Compact headers showed as active, but was not active.
8) Closed TB.
9) attempted to reopen TB, told it was still running, back to the same problem.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Sounds like you're running into a configuration specific bug. I don't know of a workaround. I haven't noticed any similar posts yet (though there are several about add-ons not working with 91).

It might help to update your graphics drivers and to disable hardware acceleration in Thunderbird. Hardware acceleration can disabled by setting gfx.direct2d.disabled true and layers.acceleration.disabled true using the config editor.

I suggest you file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home . If you do that please post the bug report number.
ErsatzOrangeTang

tanstaafl wrote:Sounds like you're running into a configuration specific bug. I don't know of a workaround. I haven't noticed any similar posts yet (though there are several about add-ons not working with 91).

It might help to update your graphics drivers and to disable hardware acceleration in Thunderbird. Hardware acceleration can disabled by setting gfx.direct2d.disabled true and layers.acceleration.disabled true using the config editor.

I suggest you file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home . If you do that please post the bug report number.
Done: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1732515