Urgent plz. VERY strange issue forwarding mails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
daKazze

Urgent plz. VERY strange issue forwarding mails

Post by daKazze »

Hey there community!

I just spent almost a whole day switching my work mail from outlook to TB, learning how to use, set up EVERY little thing, configure my rules(filter) and I really like it.
But there is a massive issue for me:

There is a specific very strange issue I cant get solved even tho I´ve spent a long time on google already.
(latest TB Version, no addons that might interfere)
I have a very complicated, complex and important automation setup for incoming jobs for my own company. I get my job commissions via mail in plain text together with 2 attachments. I have no way to influence these mails so I have a forwarding rule to filter and forward these mails to another mail account and from there to a complex automation setup.

The problem is:
If I forward this specific kind of message I only get the header on the other end without the text, so my automation process doesnt work. In addition to the header and the usual attachments there is one called "part of message.tmp". If I set it to "forward as attachement" I get the usual e-mail format as attachement and no header. The strange thing is that I can forward other messages just fine... I already checked the forwarding setting in TB settings to send the message in line, I switched to "use HTML" and "dont use...", I also tryed manually forwarding the message holding shift down.
When I receive the message on the other address and forward it again the text is shown at the bottom completely fine (but still missing everything below the header from the first forwarding process).

I am no noob when it comes to stuff like this and already spent hours trying to fix this issue but somehow I am completely lost..(yes I tryed all the setting that have to do with HTML/plain text and forwarding)
tanstaafl

Re: Urgent plz. VERY strange issue forwarding mails

Post by tanstaafl »

Does the problem occur if you manually run a filter that forwards those messages (instead of using your complex automation scheme)?

"I have a very complicated, complex and important automation setup for incoming jobs for my own company."
Its tough to help somebody using some unknown automation scheme. Is it the rough equivalent of AutoIt or AutoHotKey?

You said "no addons that might interfere". Most add-ons that worked with version 78 have broken in 91, falsely claim they work, and may have bad side effects. Try running in safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode) . The bulk of version 91 works fine but there are still some major issues such as many add-ons are broken. This is quite common for a new major version which was only made available via auto-updates on the 22nd . You might be better off using 78.14.0 for a while until more bugs are fixed in 91.*.

See https://web.archive.org/web/20200729104 ... hunderbird
for how to get a setup program for 78.14.0 (latest update to prior major release).
daKazze

Post by daKazze »

Sorry if I explained the issue wrong, my english isnt that good:

As soon as I try to forward this exact type of mail (plain text) the issue occurs. Instead of having the original mail body text I only get the header, no matter what I setup in options. Forwarding HTML doesnt do this.
This happens if I try to forward a mail manually or using a filter!

My automation process only starts AFTER the mail gets forwarded but doesnt work because the mail body text is missing. So this process has absolutely nothing to do with the initial issue.

Already tryed using TB in safe mode and without any extensions.

Thank you very much for taking your time! Since I am in the business for over 20 years I am usually able to solve my issues by myself but this time I am really stuck and very grateful for your help!

Here is an example of the kind of mails that doesnt get forwarded:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c7BBFU ... sp=sharing
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Your google drive link to mail.zip doesn't let me open the mail.eml file or look at the screen shot. If you can fix that I'll try to duplicate your problem. It will also let me see what the Content-Type: header is set to.

I know of several ways that mistakes could be made that would cause you to forward a HTML message as plain text, but none that would skip the message body unless it was made up only of a inline attachment or a image.

Does this occur mainly with messages sent to you from Outlook/Office 365?

If you look at the forwarded messages in webmail (browser based) does it have the same problem? One reason why I'm asking is webmail might default to different character encoding.

Check that view -> display attachments inline is UNchecked.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=1234715 is ancient but the closest I could find to your problem.
daKazze

Post by daKazze »

Thank you very much for your help!

on gdrive you need to download the file (using the icon on the top right)
As an alternative here is the screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zrhw6R ... sp=sharing
And the mail as separate files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xZNe4p ... sp=sharing
but I guess you still need to download them.

I cant really say since this mail is sent by my most important client and thats why it is so important I can forward it into my automatism thingy. All I know is that is auto generated.
And yea if I open the forwarded message in any other application the text is still missing. The problem is that TB takes that part of the message (the text body) and creates an additional attachement called "part of message".tmp and sends it this way, instead of just mailing it in line. (and yes this is also not the same behavior as "forward as attachement" because it doesnt but the whole mail in a .eml file in the attachements)

I really cant say how much I appreciate your help! If I dont get this fixed I need to go back to outlook even tho I really like TB.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

As I mentioned in https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbird/co ... ease_halp/ there may be a fundamental bug for which you are not going to find a work around. For example https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1729432 was only just fixed in 91.1.2. Have a look at https://mzl.la/3zOzsqp

Which version are you using?
daKazze

Post by daKazze »

Hey there ;)
Until yesterday I was using the latest stable 91 version but upgraded to 94 beta yesterday which also did not help.
If I dont find a solution I will rollback at the weekend but thing is, I got very little free time atm and just spent almost a full day switching to TB this weekend (install, study, setup) and I dont want to loose all that.
I mean, there has got to be a solution -.-
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

To repeat myself from reddit, You might consider using version 78, and disable updates. In part because if it doesn't work in version 78 then there's little to no chance of it working in 91.
daKazze

Post by daKazze »

Ok, I now tried using the latest 78 version... Installed in a new folder, setup my mail account, tried forwarding that kind of message and the same error occurs again...
Guess I´ll have to switch back to Outlook. I´ll wait until this weekend and then get a new Outlook license if I dont find a solution till then.

I am grateful four your help anyway guys, thank you!
daKazze

Post by daKazze »

OK, in another forum someone found out that the automatic mail I get sent by my client has a damaged MIME-Structure and since TBs MIME-library changed very little over the past 20 years there might be no solution, other than editing every mail I receive to fix this, which is not realistically possible for me.

Thank you everyone who tried helping me here!