Thunderbird and Windows 11 taskbar

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dch53

Thunderbird and Windows 11 taskbar

Post by dch53 »

Hi. I recently upgraded to Windows 11.

For years and year I've added attachments to emails by dragging a file to the Thunderbird icon in the task bar. The context menu would pop up with the message I wanted to attach to. Drag the file onto the message icon and the message window would come to the front with the file attached.

This no longer works in Windows 11 because of changes to the task bar. Now I'll have to resort to less convenient ways of adding a file to an email message that's not visible.

Since upgrading to Windows 11 the new email window now has a dark grey border around the From/To/Subject block. I'd attach a screenshot but it's not obvious how to do that here.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird and Windows 11 taskbar

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

Under Windows 10 I'm used to dragging the file over the icon in the task bar, it displaying a small image of the the main window and the compose message window, and then dragging and dropping the file over the compose message window. I used to have to align it with the attachment pane area by the headers but with 91 the whole compose message window becomes grey and displays "add an attachment" (which is much easier than before).

I never had to deal with a context menu to do that. Perhaps what you're calling a context menu is actually the small image of the compose message window . Terminology can be confusing.
lrademac

Post by lrademac »

I'm having the same issue with the dark grey border mentioned above. Here is a picture:
The problem goes away if I switch to the light theme or restart Thunderbird with hardware acceleration disabled. Running windows 11 and thunderbird 91.2.1, system theme.
lrademac

Post by lrademac »

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The project has changed the default setting for hardware acceleration at least 6 times that I know of. I keep it disabled as the benefits don't seem worth the risk.