No email program associated to perform the requested action

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
EmileB

No email program associated to perform the requested action

Post by EmileB »

This morning when I loaded Thunderbird from its desktop shortcut, a program update occurred. Since then when I load Thunderbird from its desktop shortcut, an alert appears that says "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."
After clicking on this alert box nine times, Thunderbird finally opens. But my work email account for which I need Exquilla is missing.

When I check the Default Programs, Thunderbird IS listed as the default email program.
I always load Thunderbird from its desktop shortcut, not by double-clicking an email file or such thing.
I run Windows 10 Home 64 bit and the installed version of Thunderbird was 78.5.0 (presumably with some automatic updates since).
I have been using Thunderbird for many years with no problems and I made donations a couple of times too. I am not a computer expert and totally stumped.
Hope someone can help fix this.
Thanks,
Emile.
EmileB

Re: No email program associated to perform the requested act

Post by EmileB »

Further to my previous post : I have now completely removed the 64 bit version of Thunderbird 91.2.1 and replaced it with the equivalent 32 bit version. Same thing happens : I need to click nine times to get rid of the alert when I load Thunderbird. Default Windows 10 mail program is shown as Thunderbird, and indeed if I double-click on an .eml file, it is opened in Thunderbird but only after clicking nine times to get rid of the alert.
Again, help to get this issue sorted would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Emile.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Does this problem only occur if the Exquilla add-on is enabled? If so I'd suggest sending a email to the add-ons authors for help. Its a add-on you paid for.

See if the problem occurs if you hold down the Shift key when clicking on the Thunderbird shortcut. That selects safe mode (now called troubleshooting mode in version 91) which temporarily disables all add-ons.

"After clicking on this alert box nine times, Thunderbird finally opens. But my work email account for which I need Exquilla is missing."

I'm confused. I assumed your work account was a IMAP account so it couldn't be just hidden in the folder pane and the account use folders in the "Local Folders" special account (due to a global inbox being configured for a POP account). Is your work account missing in tools -> account settings or did you somehow wind up using a different profile? Usually if the latter occurs the new account wizard is automatically run because it couldn't find any profiles.
EmileB

Post by EmileB »

Thanks for your reply.
The problem also occurs with the Exquilla add-on disabled. As you suggested, I just ran Thunderbird in troubleshooting mode and again I had to click the alert away nine times.
I forgot to add that this morning when I loaded Thunderbird (that was still the 64 bit version) my work account was there again without me having done anything. But after removing the 64 bit version and installing the 32 bit one, my work account is missing again. My work account is not IMAP but an MS Exchange account for which I need Exquilla, sorry if I did not make that clear. I can confirm that I did restore the correct profile.
EmileB

Post by EmileB »

Anybody ?
I read now that I am not the only one who has this problem !
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What's confusing is what is it that Windows could be reacting to when you launch Thunderbird that results in "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program ". That's an error message I'd normally associate with somebody double clicking on a .eml file in windows explorer or making a MAPI call to the default email client from Word or Excel to send a message etc.

Copy the command line from the properties of the shortcut and paste it into a console window (you could run cmd.exe from the windows start button). Does the same error occur? If you're lucky you see additional error messages that got hidden by the GUI.

Are you sure that the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of Thunderbird are using the same profile? You need to use the same installation directory due to changes they made in version 68 . I suggest you check what profile is being used with help -> troubleshooting information. Click on the "open folder" link next to Profile Folder to open windows explorer at your profile.

See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/de ... stallation.

When you say your work account is missing again there are three places to check for its existence. The folder pane, tools -> account settings and the mail & news section in help -> more troubleshooting information. Is it gone in all three?
EmileB

Post by EmileB »

Thanks for your reply.
Running the command line from a console window results in the same error message 9x.
I checked the profile used : it is the correct one.
As happened before, without me doing anything my work account has re-appeared :roll: .

This is obviously a rather obscure problem and I don't want to waste anyone's time here any further. I'm going to wipe Thunderbird from my PC altogether and start setting it up from scratch with new profiles. All emails are online anyway, it's just that I do not want to have to log into three different web portals to access them all - which is why I use TB in the first place. Will let you know how I get on.
rtg

Post by rtg »

as per reddit
I had the same issue when running Thunderbird in Windows until just now. The solution for me was to remove the line which contains "ldap_2.servers.eds.dirType" from the prefs.js file in the profile folder, which you should be able to open with a text editor like notepad. The default profile folder location in Windows should look similar to:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\abcdef.default

While I have not encountered any issues due to removing the line so far, I would still suggest making a backup of your profile folder before attempting the (potential) solution.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbird/co ... ssociated/
jretxaniz

Post by jretxaniz »

There is another topic with the solution

SOLVED (for me anyway!)

Problem seems to be related to "EDS - Evolution Data Server"'

EITHER:
- Edit prefs.js in profiles folder.
- Delete all lines containing "ldap_2.servers.eds" and/or "ldap_2.servers.ews" (without quotes)

OR
Search and Delete using Thunderbird Advanced Preferences
Tools > Preferences > Config Editor

Thanks to Cris486 on Bugzilla.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 727230#c30
rtg

Post by rtg »

Hi again. This here solved my issue. I guess it was due to me also having had an exchange server added some time ago.. removing all entries with .ews worked for me.
SOLVED (for me anyway!)

EITHER:
- Delete all lines containing "ldap_2.servers.eds" and/or "ldap_2.servers.ews" (without quotes)

OR
Search and Delete using Thunderbird Advanced Preferences
Tools > Preferences > Config Editor

Thanks to Cris486 on Bugzilla.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 727230#c30
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3080717
EmileB

Post by EmileB »

jretxaniz wrote:There is another topic with the solution

SOLVED (for me anyway!)

EITHER:
WOW, yes that fixed the problem ! Many thanks to the person who came up with this solution, and to the people who reposted it :D