Wireguard effect on handshaking time (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
robbyx

Wireguard effect on handshaking time (Linux)

Post by robbyx »

How can I speed up the handshaking time?

I use the ubuntu version of TB.

I have switched to Wireguard as a type of VPN. Since the switch the handshaking with google mail pop 3, takes a long time. I used to use an elliptical VPN and that had no delays on handshaking (in slowed down my internet spead hence the change to wireguard), After the initial handshake using wireguard, the sending of emails is quick. If I close TB and then restart it, the initial handshaking takes a long time, yet again.

TB is currently set to SSL/TLS connection security with normal password authentication.

R
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 5th, 2021, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
Robin
tanstaafl

Re: Wireguard effect on handshaking time (Linux)

Post by tanstaafl »

No idea. Do you see a similar slowdown with secure connections to gmail webmail using Firefox?

Does this problem occur with non-gmail accounts?

My impression was that a Wireguard based vpn was supposed to be faster than a IPSec IKEv2 vpn. One possibility is you didn't configure Wireguard well. https://www.ivpn.net/pptp-vs-ipsec-ikev ... wireguard/

Are you using the same vpn provider for both protocols?

Are you using a version of Ubuntu with a Linux 5.6 or later kernel? Supposedly that is when Wireguard was made part of the kernel. I'd assume that effects performance.

Supposedly NordVPN is using a modified version of Wireguard called NordLynx that is faster than most of the other implementations. https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-pr ... wireguard/
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you solve your problem? If so, I'd be interested in what you did.
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

I did not solve the long handshake. It only happens when TB first tries to access Google pop3. I have had to live with it.

Thank you for your help.

R