Email accounts grayed out no display

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
snoopcat

Email accounts grayed out no display

Post by snoopcat »

I have a TB with 4 email accounts: 2Gmail accounts, a Hotmail account & a local TDS account: bajabb.com.2 of those accounts will not display & are grayed out. A Gmail account & bajabb.com. When I open the Gmail account I get the message:

"Authentication failure while connecting to server.imap.gmail.com".The other one, bajabb.com gives no information but will just not display.

I know this is probably simple but I just don't know how to proceed.
tanstaafl

Re: Email accounts grayed out no display

Post by tanstaafl »

You probably need to log into your google (not gmail) account using a browser and enable "Allow Less Secure Apps" for Thunderbird. Gmail has a habit of occasionally disabling that behind your back which I assume is because they would prefer you to use OAuth2.

Oauth2 normally isn't more secure than "normal passwords" when communicating to the mail server. Both use a secure connection. However, Oauth2 stores tokens rather than passwords in the password manager which gives them the excuse to claim "normal passwords" is less secure. Its all marketing/spin.

Another solution would be to change the authentication method to OAuth2 in the Gmail accounts server settings in Thunderbird. That requires google and gmail cookies to be enabled in Thunderbird (which should be by default, but you can enable exceptions for them in the preferences if they aren't).

Try logging into webmail for bajabb.com using a browser. They might have set a captcha. That will let you clear it if its set. Thunderbird has no idea captchas exist.