TB is deleting my outgoing mail servers

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

TB is deleting my outgoing mail servers

Post by ep2012 »

So I just reformatted my HD a few weeks ago & then copied the TB profile & we noticed that all but 5 of my outgoing e-mail servers were GONE.

I thought it was due to the reformat, copying the profile or even updating to the new version so I spent over 30 minutes adding them ALL back in (at least 15-20) & I just went back in there & they are ALL gone except the original 5.

Why is it doing that??? :cry:
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Re: TB is deleting my outgoing mail servers

Post by tanstaafl »

No idea. Its not unheard of for Thunderbird to change some settings when updating, especially if they are unusual values, but I'm not aware of it doing that for account settings.

Are you using version 91.3.1 (latest production release) or something else such as a beta?

I suggest you try running in safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode) for a while to disable all add-ons in case its a side effect of a broken add-on.

You could try copying all of your settings in prefs.js to the optional user.js file. That's meant to make some user preferences permanent, unaffected by changes made using the user interface. But your problem is very focused, not some random deletion/modification. My gut feeling is there is something else running on your PC that's causing this if its not due to an add-on or your running a beta. Are you running anything that might clean up settings to make your PC run faster such as CCleaner?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:No idea. Its not unheard of for Thunderbird to change some settings when updating, especially if they are unusual values, but I'm not aware of it doing that for account settings.

Are you using version 91.3.1 (latest production release) or something else such as a beta?

I suggest you try running in safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode) for a while to disable all add-ons in case its a side effect of a broken add-on.

You could try copying all of your settings in prefs.js to the optional user.js file. That's meant to make some user preferences permanent, unaffected by changes made using the user interface. But your problem is very focused, not some random deletion/modification. My gut feeling is there is something else running on your PC that's causing this if its not due to an add-on or your running a beta. Are you running anything that might clean up settings to make your PC run faster such as CCleaner?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file
I will have to get someone to help me with that user.js file.

No, nothing other than Malewarebytes, but it's supposed to tell me if it found something.

So what, add one outgoing server & see if it sticks? I'm not going to add all 25 again only to have them disappear again. SMH

I can't work without at least one of my add-ons.

Yes, that's the version I'm using.

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
epp

Post by epp »

I have noticed this myself (on the Linux version of Thunderbird) and have filed a bug report, with screenshots. If you exit Thunderbird and reopen it, all of the SMTP server entries should then be listed.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1742412
Debian unstable
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

epp wrote:I have noticed this myself (on the Linux version of Thunderbird) and have filed a bug report, with screenshots. If you exit Thunderbird and reopen it, all of the SMTP server entries should then be listed.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1742412
Sorry for the delay. I' just seeing this.

Wow, I never use the exit option so I would have had no way of knowing.

Does it keep them there or they disappear eventually & you have to exit again?

Can you shoot me the bug report so I can chime in too?

Thanks
epp

Post by epp »

The link above, is the bug report. The problem is intermittent, sometimes the entries disappear from the listing, other times they remain in place.
Debian unstable
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

epp wrote:The link above, is the bug report. The problem is intermittent, sometimes the entries disappear from the listing, other times they remain in place.
Sorry LOL, I have cognitive issues due to the evils poisoning us. I just saw my response & the link SMH.

So I just checked & now I have even LESS entries than before SMH. They were all there yesterday after I did the exit trick. Wow.

So do you know whether even though they are missing, the accounts are still using them?

Thanks
epp

Post by epp »

ep2012 wrote: So I just checked & now I have even LESS entries than before SMH. They were all there yesterday after I did the exit trick. Wow.

So do you know whether even though they are missing, the accounts are still using them?

Thanks
I believe they are still used by the accounts when they disappear from the listing, as I have not had an issue when sending emails, so far.

I have changed the bug report to reflect it affects all operating systems.
Debian unstable