Server Settings/Security Settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cmart6

Server Settings/Security Settings

Post by cmart6 »

Mine are on default: Connection Security: none
Authentication method: password, transmitted insecurely

What are recommended settings and how does one implement them?

Thanks, cma
tanstaafl

Re: Server Settings/Security Settings

Post by tanstaafl »

It depends upon the email provider. Normally you want SSL/TLS enabled for connection security and either "normal password" (most support that) or "Oauth2" (few support that but some require it) for authentication.

If you start Thunderbird for the first time it should run the new account wizard. That will ask you for your email address, name and password and then try to find a recommended configuration for that email provider. It knows about many ISPs, and many email providers if you use their domain. However it doesn't know about companies like HostGator or BlueHost where you have your own domain. If it doesn't know what configuration to recommend search for that on the email providers web site and use the appropriate button in the new account wizard to tell it you will manually select the port, server etc.

See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/au ... figuration
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

"Recommended settings" is not really a valid terms for those settings. Thunderbird can only access your email if those settings match the settings the email provider requires for connection to their servers.

Who is your email provider?
cmart6

Post by cmart6 »

tanstaafl wrote:It depends upon the email provider. Normally you want SSL/TLS enabled for connection security and either "normal password" (most support that) or "Oauth2" (few support that but some require it) for authentication.

If you start Thunderbird for the first time it should run the new account wizard. That will ask you for your email address, name and password and then try to find a recommended configuration for that email provider. It knows about many ISPs, and many email providers if you use their domain. However it doesn't know about companies like HostGator or BlueHost where you have your own domain. If it doesn't know what configuration to recommend search for that on the email providers web site and use the appropriate button in the new account wizard to tell it you will manually select the port, server etc.

See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/au ... figuration
Thanks for the link which deals with a new account. However, I have already have a provider and an account so I can't get to the new account wizard. Spectrum is my provider. I will try your recommendations of "normal password" and "SSL/TLS". How does one get to SMTP settings?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How does one get to SMTP settings?
Menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list in the left hand pane.
cmart6

Post by cmart6 »

DanRaisch wrote:
How does one get to SMTP settings?
Menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list in the left hand pane.
Thanks, Dan, I would not have found that menu item.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.