Stops Responding When Going Online - Safe Mode too

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
YrbkMgr

Stops Responding When Going Online - Safe Mode too

Post by YrbkMgr »

Starting last night, TB freezes every time I go online.

TB prompts me to work online or offline on startup. If I choose offline, TB loads, temporarily stops responding, then recovers. Once I go Online, TB freezes - it's still using tons of CPU, but it doesn't respond requiring process termination. If I chose to work online at startup, TB immediately stops responding.

Launched in Safe Mode, reset defaults, back into safe mode... all the same.

What should I do next? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The nice thing about standards in computing is that there are so many from which to choose.
tanstaafl

Re: Stops Responding When Going Online - Safe Mode too

Post by tanstaafl »

Check what tools -> preferences -> offline is set to.

Try configuring your accounts to delay checking for new mail for a good while and disable background processes (unheck global search/indexing in tools -> preferences and "keep messages for this account on the computer" in synchronization & storage). Hopefully that will delay the hang and give you a better chance to see what triggers it.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

tanstaafl wrote:Check what tools -> preferences -> offline is set to.

Try configuring your accounts to delay checking for new mail for a good while and disable background processes (unheck global search/indexing in tools -> preferences and "keep messages for this account on the computer" in synchronization & storage). Hopefully that will delay the hang and give you a better chance to see what triggers it.
Thank you so much for that. My current Offline is set to Automatic. Prior to resetting everything via safe mode I had it default to always ask, which is what I prefer.

I had suspected corruption of the "database" because I've been moving things from the server to local folders. This is complicated by the obscenely large number of messages. I ended up the fixing the problem by restoring a backup of the Profiles->IMAP->imap.gmail.com folder. Tested in Safe Mode=success.

Part of the issue is that I have 14 GB of messages on the server that I'm trying to move to local folders to free up space. I think when I move too many messages, TB chokes. Status indicators don't respond quickly making it difficult to find out if it's downloading messages to the client or stopped, or what. I likely corrupted things with improper app exit and such. Restoring the backup solved the hang when going online issue.
The nice thing about standards in computing is that there are so many from which to choose.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The free version of Gmail has a undocumented hourly and daily bandwidth limit. https://support.google.com/a/answer/107 ... opic=28609 documents the bandwidth limits for the commercial version of Gmail.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

That's good to know, I appreciate it. I'd be surprised if bandwidth limits were causing an application hang. I would expect that if the server says no more, TB says ok. If not... that seems like a problem.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

YrbkMgr,
Are you still experiencing problems?
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

wsmwk wrote:YrbkMgr,
Are you still experiencing problems?
God bless you for asking, but no. I am proud to announce yet another PEBCAK moment. Toolin' along fine with only one major disappointment. The documentation (help) impedes user adoption and awareness of features. I've been around since CompuServe on an 800 baud modem and I'd recommend some attention in that area.