Circular green arrows in upper right "Restart Thunderbird"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hbadorties

Circular green arrows in upper right "Restart Thunderbird"

Post by hbadorties »

Hello,

In the upper-right corner of the TB window there is an icon with two green arrows in a clockwise circle. The pop-up when hovering on this icon says "Restart Thunderbird".

view image here

This seems odd to me because the only time I need to restart TB is when I download an update. I don't need a quick, one-click restart readily available.

I wonder why this is present.

Is there a way to remove it?

Details:

TB 91.9.1 (64-bit)
Mac OSX 11.6.5 and also 10.13.6
Last edited by hbadorties on May 20th, 2022, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Circular green arrows in upper right "Restart Thunderbir

Post by tanstaafl »

I've never seen that. I vaguely remember seeing a vertical down arrow there at one point that was some sort of temporary notification. Your screen shot looks different than the icon used by the restart button add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... rt-button/

Try right clicking on the main windows toolbar, selecting customize, and see if you can drag and drop the widget to that window. Then press the Done button.

Did this appear shortly after updating to a new version? If so, which one.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

Thanks - but the icon is NOT on the toolbar, so this "restart icon" cannot be removed by customizing the toolbar.

I have updated the image here and in the original post to better illustrate the location of this icon (sorry 'bout any confusion).

I did not take notice of which version of TB this began to appear. It has been present in at least the version previous to 91.9.1
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

In Windows a green circle containing a single white down arrow appears in a similar location when an update is available. Nothing happens when you click on the icon but when the "About Thunderbird" pop-up is opened there is the option to click to update Thunderbird - excuse the failing memory but I can't remember whether you have to click to download then click to re-start or whether the download has already been cached ready to update when Thunderbird is re-started.

It may be that this is the Mac variant of that theme with the restart triggering the installation of the update.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same icon appear if you launch the application in Mozilla Trouble Shooting Mode? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... shoot-mode
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same icon appear if you launch the application in Mozilla Trouble Shooting Mode? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... shoot-mode
Ah ha! No, it does not appear when starting in troubleshooting mode!

This led me to discover the icon is installed with "Phoenity Buttons 4.1" add-on. I don't know why I never noticed this before. The add-on blurb refers to this as "toolbar button", but in fact it does not sit on the toolbar and can't be added/removed in the normal manner of customizing the toolbar.

So I'll have to raise this behaviour with the Phoenicity Buttons developer.

Thanks to all for the help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

hbadorties wrote: So I'll have to raise this behaviour with the Phoenicity Buttons developer.
There is another very similar "Restart Thunderbird 1.5" button from the same author
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... rt-button/
which you can move to the toolbar