Here’s How Mozilla Thunderbird Is Making a Comeback in 2022

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sjw54

Here’s How Mozilla Thunderbird Is Making a Comeback in 2022

Post by sjw54 »

https://www.howtogeek.com/805530/heres- ... k-in-2022/

Since I am not a tech savvy person at all, what are the chances I will even figure out how to use tbird when these changes take place and is there any way to know exactly when it will happen? I am freaking out at the thought of being unable to use my tbird because I use only the most basic stuff.....

I do get the updates at least a couple times a week so I assume I have the latest there is for now

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
WaltS48

Re: Here’s How Mozilla Thunderbird Is Making a Comeback in 2

Post by WaltS48 »

I only use the most basic stuff and still receive, read, reply, and write new messages using Thunderbird 101.0b4, which has some of the new features coming in version 102 in June.

You might want to look at the blog post mentioned in that article.

7 Great New Features coming to Thunderbird 102
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

OMG...that looks so complicated....Will I open up T-bird one day and it will all look different and I won't know how to use it.....that is what I am afraid of.....I am so used to what I have, and so many friends have been trying to get me to quit tbird...but I love it....I have a hard time learning new stuff and this is scary.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using version 91, the latest beta and the daily build so I'm not only exposed to those changes but have to mentally switch gears as I switch versions. Its not a big deal. What I notice most is varying support for the add-ons I use and minor cosmetic changes.

* It takes one click to disable the optional spaces toolbar.

* If you have a working configuration you can ignore the improved import wizard.

* The import/export wizard is just a built-in version of the ImportExportTools NG add-on, which is just an updated version of the old ImportExportTools add-on.

* Its not mentioned in that blog but the UI architect said (it was part of a discussion on topicbox) there will be an option to keep the old address book layout. I think a side effect of that might be you might lose the new ability to have the address book in a tab , and the new built-in support for CardDAV remote address books . I can't find that option but it might not have been implemented yet.

I suggest you delay updating to 102.* until the first minor update for it has been released. Their are always problems with major new releases, and waiting a little while will improve the chances any add-on you use have been updated to support it, and give them time to update the KB articles on the official support site.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Goodness....I do not even know the meaning of all those things you noted with asterisks....you are speaking a foreign language.....

Do I have a choice about accepting the new roll out? Are the changes optional? I can keep what I have? I am not sure what I have....and forget where to look.....
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote:Goodness....I do not even know the meaning of all those things you noted with asterisks....you are speaking a foreign language.....

Do I have a choice about accepting the new roll out? Are the changes optional? I can keep what I have? I am not sure what I have....and forget where to look.....
I'm not sure whether the problem is with Thunderbird or with you over-thinking things. I am currently running v101beta which has brought a number of upgrades forward ready for v102 and I have not noticed any significant changes in the day-to-day operation so the under-the-hood migration seems to be working fine.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You can configure Thunderbird in tools -> preferences to not automatically install an update using "check for updates but let me decide whether to install them". However, I think you are over-reacting.

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14873056 if you are comfortable adding two keys to the windows registry using regedit to add a policy to prevent it from ever checking for updates.

https://www.howtogeek.com/663471/how-to ... indows-10/ (how to launch regedit)
https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using- ... o/lesson5/ (tutorial on what regedit does).
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

sjw54 wrote:OMG...that looks so complicated....Will I open up T-bird one day and it will all look different and I won't know how to use it.....that is what I am afraid of.....I am so used to what I have, and so many friends have been trying to get me to quit tbird...but I love it....I have a hard time learning new stuff and this is scary.
How does it complicate reading, writing and sending email?

You still pick an email in the Thread pane to read it in the Message pane.
Click "Reply" in the message header to reply.
Click "Write" from the Mail Toolbar to compose a new email.
Click "Send" when done composing the email.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5