Thunderbird 102.0 and CompuServe - OAuth2 “not supported”

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Al T.

Thunderbird 102.0 and CompuServe - OAuth2 “not supported”

Post by Al T. »

I’m running Windows 10 with the most current updates.

After upgrading to Thunderbird 102.0, I now receive the following message when trying to access POP3 emails from compuserve.com:

“The server does not support the selected authentication method. Please change the ‘Authentication method’ in the ‘Account Settings | Server settings’ .”

I’ve checked the flagged settings and they are identical to what was successfully working in ver. 91.11.0.

Does anyone here know of a Compuserve.com setting that’s working in 102.0? (Google was no help.)
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird 102.0 and CompuServe - OAuth2 “not supported

Post by DanRaisch »

I’ve checked the flagged settings and they are identical to what was successfully working in ver. 91.11.0.
And what are those settings now present for that account?
Al T.

Post by Al T. »

DanRaisch wrote:
And what are those settings now present for that account?
Of course! I apologize for not including them. (If memory serves, they are Thunderbird’s defaults and were automatically filled in when I created the account.)

Server Settings

Server Name: pop.aol.com
Port: 995
User Name: (me)@compuserve.com

Security Settings
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: OAuth2

Server settings
(nothing is checked)

Message Storage
Empty Trash on Exit: (not check)
Message Store Type: (nothing selected)

Advanced
….. for account ….
ʘ Inbox for different account
Local Folders
X Include this server when getting new mail

Local directory: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\o8n9wm ….
CBA

Post by CBA »

If nothing else works, try to use an app specific password: https://help.compuserve.com/articles/Cr ... p-password

I checked with Thunderbird Portable 102.0 and I had no issues retrieving my Compuserve POP mail (using app specific password). Fwiw.
Al T.

Post by Al T. »

CBA wrote:If nothing else works, try to use an app specific password: https://help.compuserve.com/articles/Cr ... p-password

I checked with Thunderbird Portable 102.0 and I had no issues retrieving my Compuserve POP mail (using app specific password). Fwiw.
I've been already using an app specific password and it's what has been having no success with v 102.0, in spite of the fact that 91.11.0 worked perfectly and all I did was "upgrade". Something must be different in v 102.0.

Can you please share your CompuServe Classic settings for both outgoing and incoming servers? Maybe something you have is different from mine.

As a test, I also setup TB 102 on a new Win 10 install and the only thing that worked from TB's "database settings" was IMAP, but POP3 native settings failed.

Any help is appreciated.
CBA

Post by CBA »

As you are using an app specific password, as far as I understand, your Authentication method should be Normal password and NOT OAuth2. That's what I would check the first.

My settings are as follows:

SERVER SETTINGS
Server Type: POP Mail Server
Server Name: pop.csi.com
Port: 995 (Default: 995)
User Name: xxxxx@compuserve.com
Authentication method: Normal password

OUTGOING SERVER (SMTP) SETTINGS
Description: xxxxx
Server Name: smtp.csi.com
Port: 465
Al T.

Post by Al T. »

CBA wrote:As you are using an app specific password, as far as I understand, your Authentication method should be Normal password and NOT OAuth2. That's what I would check the first.

My settings are as follows:

SERVER SETTINGS
Server Type: POP Mail Server
Server Name: pop.csi.com
Port: 995 (Default: 995)

OUTGOING SERVER (SMTP) SETTINGS
Description: xxxxx
Server Name: smtp.csi.com
Port: 465
Your settings work perfectly for me. I believe the big difference was using your Server Setting of "pop.csi.com" instead of the "pop.aol.com" that Thunderbird had placed into my setup. This allowed the "Normal Password" setting to work.

As well, similarly your Outgoing Server Setting of "smtp.csi.com" versus the one I had of "smtp.aol.com" allows for the use of the "Normal Password" setting there too.

For the benefit of other readers, I am using an "app specific password" for which you provided a link in a previous message in this thread.

Many thanks to you for responding to my post and for sharing your expertise!