Set "unthreaded" view for all folders, and by default (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hbadorties

Set "unthreaded" view for all folders, and by default (Mac)

Post by hbadorties »

Hello experts,

It seems TB 102.0 on MacOS 11.6.7 has set many folders to sort in a "threaded" view attribute (which is not the attribute I had prior to updating to v102.0).

I see I can change the view attribute on each individual folder, but that is time consuming:
-> Select a folder and from the toolbar pick View -> Sort by -> and check "Unthreaded")

Here are my questions:

1) How can I set the View attributes to apply to ALL folders?

2) How can I set the default View attributes so these apply to any new folders?

Thanks for any pointers, tips and tricks...
lenny2

Re: Set "unthreaded" view for all folders, and by default (M

Post by lenny2 »

hbadorties wrote:Here are my questions:

1) How can I set the View attributes to apply to ALL folders?

2) How can I set the default View attributes so these apply to any new folders?

Thanks for any pointers, tips and tricks...
To sort newly created accounts the old way, you need to set mailnews.default_view_flags = 0 (default = 1) in about:config right after installing TB v102.0, restart Thunderbird and only then create accounts.
In Betterbird v102.0 this has been fixed, the old sorting works there.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

Thanks for the reply
lenny2 wrote:To sort newly created accounts the old way, you need to set mailnews.default_view_flags = 0 (default = 1) in about:config right after installing TB v102.0, restart Thunderbird and only then create accounts.
Using the config editor to change "mailnews.default_view_flags = 0" (from the default "1") made no difference and had no effect on ANY existing mail folders. I want to change the view of attributes of ALL existing folders, including Local folders where I have purposely saved quite a bit of mail.

I am confused by you saying "and only then create accounts" - do you mean this change will only apply to ACCOUNTS created after making this change and NOT to existing accounts?

I've been a dedicated user of Thunderbird for decades. I've been disappointed with updates in recent years introducing unwanted features and introducing certain problems. I'm disappointed with the upgrade to 102.0 breaking certain things and changing behaviour I have relied upon (see my post about "messing up Primary Password".

I've not been aware of "BetterBird". However reluctantly, perhaps I should look there? (I am Mac user).
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

hbadorties wrote:Thanks for the reply
lenny2 wrote:To sort newly created accounts the old way, you need to set mailnews.default_view_flags = 0 (default = 1) in about:config right after installing TB v102.0, restart Thunderbird and only then create accounts.
Using the config editor to change "mailnews.default_view_flags = 0" (from the default "1") made no difference and had no effect on ANY existing mail folders. I want to change the view of attributes of ALL existing folders, including Local folders where I have purposely saved quite a bit of mail.
Did you restart Thunderbird after making the change?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

WaltS48 wrote:
Did you restart Thunderbird after making the change?
Yes, I did restart TB after making the change:

- I made the config change, saved it, quit TB
- restarted TB and then checked to see the config change indeed held (it did).

But then checking various folders that were in threaded view, the threaded view remained unchanged.

By the way, I should have added that in all the years I've been using TB I have NEVER purposely set the the view to "threaded" anywhere at anytime (because I don't personally like the threaded view). So unless I accidentally had previously set the threaded view in a folder, that view would have been set by the upgrade to 102.0.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I made the config change, saved it, quit TB - restarted TB and then checked to see the config change indeed held (it did).
But then checking various folders that were in threaded view, the threaded view remained unchanged.
That should have been the expectation. Changing that setting would not effect existing folders. The per folder status would be controlled in another file/location.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

DanRaisch wrote: That should have been the expectation. Changing that setting would not effect existing folders. The per folder status would be controlled in another file/location.
I guess a more specific question is how do I change the View to "untheaded" universally for all existing folders, instead of having to do so in each individual folder.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I am not aware of a way to do that. I can only suggest that you make the adjustment "as necessar", that is as you access different folders that are not formatted to your liking.
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

You can try these algorithms.
a\ Make a backup of your profile.
b\ Set mailnews.default_view_flags = 0 and restart Thunderbird.
c\ Create a new profile and set up accounts in it. They will have the old type sorting.
d\ If successful, delete the old profile.
Or
c\ Create a new profile, but do not create accounts.
d\ Replace the contents of the new profile folder abcdefgh.default with the contents of the old profile folder klmnoprs.default.
e\ If successful, delete the old profile.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

lenny2 wrote:You can try these algorithms.
...snip...
Thanks - but it will be a less cumbersome process for me just to adjust each folder's view to "unthreaded" when I go into a folder and find it has been stupidly set to "threaded".

I should figure out how to put in a feature request to ask developers to:

- allow setting a default folder view (for all new folders)
- allow setting a folder view to apply universally to ALL folders
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

hbadorties wrote:
...snip...
This is fixed in Betterbird v102.0. Betterbird is a clone of Thunderbird, but three steps ahead of it, fixing many bugs that still exist in Thunderbird.
https://www.betterbird.eu/releasenotes/
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

hbadorties wrote:
...snip...
I should figure out how to put in a feature request to ask developers to:

https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups ... 3edc6c4cfe
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The tb-planning mailing list (the topicbox link above) isn't meant for feature requests. Its meant to "Discuss plans, strategy, policy, governance; major improvements, meta issues; promote open standards; status, announcements; organize work to move Thunderbird forward! "

Feature requests should be submitted as a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home , specifying its a enhancement request, not a defect. However, if its a significant user interface change (yours is) suggesting it at the UX topicbox - https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/ux - is appropriate. That topicbox is moderated by the UX lead architect. If you do that please try to explain why it would be useful for many people and try to think of potential objections beforehand, don't just ask for something because you want it.