All Thunderbird RSS feeds are now invalid.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
peterhodes

All Thunderbird RSS feeds are now invalid.

Post by peterhodes »

Hi,

I've not seen any new posts within any of my RSS feed folders.

I looked a little further and tried to validate a feed by clicking the "Validate" link located after the "Feed URL" configuration window within the "Feed Subscription" window.
This took me to a link stating "The feed does not validate".

This stopped working less than a day ago and the error message applies for every single feed I have - over 20 of them. They all stopped recieving new articles at the same time.

I am running version 91.11.0 (32-bit) "Thunnderbird is up tp date. You are currently on the release update channel".

Thanks in advance if anybody knows what is going on.
Peter.
tanstaafl

Re: All Thunderbird RSS feeds are now invalid.

Post by tanstaafl »

https://blog.thunderbird.net/2022/05/th ... the-inbox/

I've found several similar threads (scattered over about 5 years) and none of them have a answer. I suggest you use a browser to verify one of those feeds works and if it does try deleting the rss feed account and adding it again. Unfortunately you're using a component of Thunderbird that is a backwater

Had you been running 91.11.0 for a couple of days before this happened? Thunderbird tends to get lots of regression bugs.

As an aside, since your user agent string says you're using Win64 you might want to switch to a 64-bit build to be more mainstream. It shouldn't make a difference but a lot less attention gets paid to 32 bit builds nowadays.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird has links to old versions of the setup program.
peterhodes

Re: All Thunderbird RSS feeds are now invalid.

Post by peterhodes »

Thanks so much for the reply.

At this moment feeds are back to normal. I'm having trouble explaining why everything stopped working as they've been fine for a couple of years. I tried all the basic things - restarting thunderbird - rebooting laptop - ensuring VPN is not running.

Thankyou tanstaafl for your prompt reply and advice.

One thing I learned during troubleshooting that is useful to know - is that the "Feed validation" (which appears to rely on w3schools) fails for any feed - even those that are working fine.

Take care,
Peter.