unusual behavior in 102.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
danll

unusual behavior in 102.0

Post by danll »

Every since I upgraded to 102.0, something strange has been going on. In a POP account I have, messages whose titles look like junk or spam do not display. In the bottom window, I don't even see the From, To, Subject, or any of the buttons - Reply, Forward, Archive, Junk, Delete, etc. So I can't even TELL Thunderbird that this message is Junk!

That is, they appear in the message list, but when I click on them, NOTHING appears in the bottom window. In the message list, I can see that they have macroscopic sizes, of many bytes, but when I save them as text for display, there is NOTHING in the text file. Thunderbird really doesn't want me to see these messages! My Junk and Spam preferences haven't changed, and I've always asked that mail identified as Junk gets thrown in my Junk folder. But even that isn't happening with these.

I get several messages a day that behave in this way.

What the @#$%^&* is going on?

This never used to happen. I could always open any message.
tanstaafl

Re: unusual behavior in 102.0

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you immediately backup your profile as a precaution. You could use tools -> export to do that if you wanted. That creates a copy of your profile that is a .zip file.

This problem only occurs with your inbox in a POP account? Perhaps its a corrupt folder and its a coincidence this occurred after upgrading. I suggest you try moving most of the messages in the inbox to other folders and then compacting the folder. Before you do that try right clicking on the inbox in the folder pane, selecting properties and then press the repair folder button. If you're lucky its just a corrupted folder listing.

If you're configured to "leave messages on server" I suggest you log into webmail using a browser and see if the bad messages look okay.
danll

Post by danll »

Thanks. Yes, I have several POP accounts, and an IMAP account. The others are all fine. That's exactly what I did, re backup. I just exported all my folders. That's all I had of significance in it. All my address books are global. I killed off the account, rebuilt a new one, and imported everything back in. I'm starting to think the same problem is occurring. Help! Interestingly, all the e-mail in my other folders display properly. Only my Inbox is messed up. But nope. If I take an e-mail in my Inbox and put it in another folder, it won't display there.

I cc these e-mails to other accounts, and they look just fine in those.
danll

Post by danll »

OK, it has to do with Junk. I turned off the adaptive Junk filter, and unchecked the trust Junk mail box. Now when I send test e-mails to that POP account, everything looks normal. Worthy of note is that when you make these changes, you MUST restart Thunderbird for them to take effect. I didn't know that.

Also of interest is that when I manually label an e-mail in my Inbox as Junk, which throws it in my Junk folder, and then if in my Junk folder I say nope, it's not junk, and it throws it back in my Inbox, that e-mail is unopenable, as was everything originally. Very weird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Major new versions are always buggy, even when they had 8 beta releases like 102 did.