left Folder show empty after upgrade to latest TB 102

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ollydbg23

left Folder show empty after upgrade to latest TB 102

Post by ollydbg23 »

Hi, I mainly use portable Thunderbird. If I remember correctly, I use an old version of Thunderbird 8x.x or 9x.x. When I check the "update" button in the Menu, I see no updates needed. But I do see there are Thunderbird 102 version already released, so I have to do manually upgrade.

The first thing is to download the ThunderbirdPortable_102.1.0_English.paf.exe file, and install it to an empty folder, and after installation, I just copy all the contents to my old installation(which just get all my old application overwriten), now I try to start the new Thunderbird portable.

The main TB window opened, but the left "Folder" is empty, see below image
See this screen shot image:
https://imgur.com/xfnFzbP

Though I can still see my accounts are there, they will be listed in the "Get Message" menu.
See the screen shot image below:
https://imgur.com/o70Wqqm

So, how can I recover my accounts and shown them in the "Folder panel"?

I try to install an old version, which is: ThunderbirdPortableLegacy91, but when I try to started this version, it said that my profile(data) is already modified by a recent version of the Thunderbird, and I can't start it.

Hope someone can help me to solve this issue, thanks!

I'm on a Windows 7 64bit OS.
tanstaafl

Re: left Folder show empty after upgrade to latest TB 102

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working

I'd start by deleting xulstore.json in your profile. If that doesn't help try deleting xulstore.json, directoryTree.json , foldertree.json (used by folder pane) , mailviews.dat (message views) , search.json, and session.json (snapshot of the windows layout).

When you restart Thunderbird it will replace the missing files with one with default values, so you will need to customize your toolbars again.

If you want to stick with 91.* (and use the existing profile) add --allow-downgrade to the command line argument in the shortcuts properties. You might also need to select the profile in help -> more troubleshooting information, click on about:profiles and then click on the set as default profile button next to your profile due to the "dedicated profile per installation" feature they added in version 78. Your address book schema will have changed so you wont be able to see the phone numbers in contacts. If that matters to you export your address books as *.csv files beforehand and and then import them after downgrading.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" --allow-downgrade
ollydbg23

Post by ollydbg23 »

tanstaafl wrote:See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working

I'd start by deleting xulstore.json in your profile. If that doesn't help try deleting xulstore.json, directoryTree.json , foldertree.json (used by folder pane) , mailviews.dat (message views) , search.json, and session.json (snapshot of the windows layout).

When you restart Thunderbird it will replace the missing files with one with default values, so you will need to customize your toolbars again.
Hi, thanks for the help.
I tried this method for the Thunderbird 102 version. I delete all you mentioned json files under the profile folder, but when I start the TB, the empty Folder still there. :(

Since the TB 102 version does not work, I have to go back to version 91.x.
If you want to stick with 91.* (and use the existing profile) add --allow-downgrade to the command line argument in the shortcuts properties. You might also need to select the profile in help -> more troubleshooting information, click on about:profiles and then click on the set as default profile button next to your profile due to the "dedicated profile per installation" feature they added in version 78. Your address book schema will have changed so you wont be able to see the phone numbers in contacts. If that matters to you export your address books as *.csv files beforehand and and then import them after downgrading.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" --allow-downgrade
I just used the "--allow-downgrade" command line option to start the Thunderbird portable version 91, and the main window opened, and I see the email accounts are there. So, it looks like I don't need to tweak the "profile" option in the "about:profiles". I will check the contacts later.

Thanks!
ollydbg23

Post by ollydbg23 »

tanstaafl wrote:Your address book schema will have changed so you wont be able to see the phone numbers in contacts. If that matters to you export your address books as *.csv files beforehand and and then import them after downgrading.
When using TB version 102, I even can't open the "Address book" panel from the toolbar, no new window/panel will be opened after I click the toolbar button.

Also, under TB 102, I even can't open the setting dialog from the menu->Tools->Account settings. So my guess is that my TB 102 layout is messed up. :(
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try right clicking on the toolbar, select customize and then press "restore default set".

You can also use the spaces toolbar (vertical toolbar on left side of main window) to bring up the address book tab. In 102 the address book is now a tab, rather than a window.
ollydbg23

Post by ollydbg23 »

tanstaafl wrote:Try right clicking on the toolbar, select customize and then press "restore default set".

You can also use the spaces toolbar (vertical toolbar on left side of main window) to bring up the address book tab. In 102 the address book is now a tab, rather than a window.
Thanks, but It looks like I still can't open the address book.
I just tried: Menu->Settings->Address Book, after click the menu item, nothing happens, no new tab nor new window pop up.

EDIT:
"restore default set" in the context menu of the toolbar gives no response, after this menu item click, I even can't click the menu bar. (The main menu bar has stalled, and now sub menu will shown when I click the "Setting" menu)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try running Thunderbird from a console window with a -addressbook --allow-downgrade command line argument. That should launch just the address book. The reason I suggest it is to verify the address book works, even if we can't figure out yet how to launch it normally.
ollydbg23

Post by ollydbg23 »

tanstaafl wrote:Try running Thunderbird from a console window with a -addressbook --allow-downgrade command line argument. That should launch just the address book. The reason I suggest it is to verify the address book works, even if we can't figure out yet how to launch it normally.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I install the TB 91, and run TB with the "--allow-downgrade". Inside the TB 91, I can open the address book, and I see the phone number are still there in the "work phone" column of the address book. So, my guess is the phone number is not missing when I do a downgrade from TB 102 to TB 91. Another guess is that when I upgrade to TB 102 version, the address book are not updated, so the phone number are still in old TB 91 format.
ollydbg23

Post by ollydbg23 »

I just see that in the homepage: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... el=release

Thunderbird version 102.1.2 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from Thunderbird version 91 or earlier. A future release will provide updates from earlier versions.

So, it means in some days later, I can directly updates from TB 91, am I correct?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes.
ollydbg23

Post by ollydbg23 »

tanstaafl wrote:Yes.
Thanks, hopefully it will fix the "empty folder" upgrade issue.
ollydbg23

Post by ollydbg23 »

Hi, I just upgrade the Thunderbird from 91 version to the 102.3 from the Menu->Help->About Thunderbird.

It looks like the result Thunderbird 102.3 works correctly.