can't add hotmail/outlook account to Thunderbird, SMTP issue

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jedtrently

can't add hotmail/outlook account to Thunderbird, SMTP issue

Post by jedtrently »

There is something desperately wrong with adding hotmail and outlook accounts to thunderbird. For a while, just 1 of my hotmail accounts wouldn't send emails, it could receive them. I deleted to account on TB but then upon adding it, I found I could not!

I've been in 5hr battle trying to get it to work. I've signed up to a 365 and Admin free trial but no setting works! I've been putting in all the information correctly, I turned my AV and Windows defender off and opened ports but nothing works!!

I've been reading that outlook are changing to a different authentication protocol and apparently some people can get onto a setting called 'SMTP Authentication' but I can't find it anywhere. I have tried using an App Password but that still doesn't work. WHAT IS GOING ON

Windows 10
tanstaafl

Re: can't add hotmail/outlook account to Thunderbird, SMTP i

Post by tanstaafl »

Don't enable the optional Two-step verification. Thunderbird doesn't provide any way for you to input the code from your smartphone etc. Microsoft calls OAuth2 "Modern Authentication".

What authentication method you use depends upon the type of Microsoft account. If its a free outlook/hotmail account you use "normal password". It won't let you use OAuth2. If you have a Office 365 subscription (work , personal or educational) you need to use OAuth2 and may have other security requirements.

A personal subscription to Office365 requires more than OAuth2.according to https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1294759

"After digging through Azure Directory admin panel and specifically on Sign-Ins of account, I manage to see the sign in was blocked by AD due to it does not fulfill the security defaults. I had to disable to security defaults and now I manage to sign in and retrieve emails with Thunderbird.

Also I had to use an app password to sign in."

Also see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1374784

The configuration in the Mozilla ISP database (what the new account wizard uses) assumes you're using a free outlook/hotmail account if your email address uses the hotmail or outlook domain. My free Outlook IMAP account uses outlook.office365.com on port 993 with ssl/tls and normal password for the IMAP server and smtp.office365.com on port 587 with StartTLS and normal password for the smtp server. That won't work with a Office365 subscription.

I don't know if the Mozilla ISP database has any configuration info for Office365. Supposedly the default domain in Office 365® is {tenantName}.onmicrosoft.com.