TB 102.1.2 ... When I click Delete

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sludge7071-g

TB 102.1.2 ... When I click Delete

Post by sludge7071-g »

In this new version 102.1.2
When I click to Delete a message
The Delete and Junk button just turn grey, and the message remains
If I hit Esc, the e-mail disappears, it goes to the Inbox, and I see that the e-mail has been deleted

The previous version of TB would delete the message, and open the next one, which was a time-saving feature, and more convenient
Was there a setting for this, that got over-written with the new install?
I don't see it
sludge7071-g

Re: TB 102.1.2 ... When I click Delete

Post by sludge7071-g »

Also, why does the Junk button turn grey? It shouldn't, unless I select that the e-mail was Junk.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

POP or IMAP account?

If you are using a IMAP account what is "when I delete a message" set to?

Are you reading messages using the message pane (F8), configured to open new messages in a tab or in a window?
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

IMAP / Move to "Trash" of the e-mail

I have these settings from a while back, I forget why, I check 9 e-mails:

Advanced Account Settings
IMAP server directory: [Gmail]
[check] Show only subscribed folders
[check] Server supports folders that contain sub-folders and messages
Maximum number of server connections to cache: 10
Personal namespace: ""
[check] Allow server to override these namespaces

. . . Are you reading messages using the message pane (F8)

No

. . . configured to open new messages in a tab or in a window?

Reading & Display / Open messages in / [dot] An existing message window
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

Other issues:

1.) It shows one of my Yahoo Mail disposable e-mails, in two sub-accounts. I don't think it did that before.

2.) The program is slow to close and re-open.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ok, so I'll backup my Profile, and go back one version to 91.12.0, that should be problem free:

Thunderbird Release Notes — Thunderbird . . . 91.12.0 . . . https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/releases/

Directory Listing: /pub/thunderbird/releases/ . . . https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Next: It said 91.12.0 couldn't use my Profile, since it had been altered by a newer version of TB

So . . . I just did a clean re-install of 91.12.0, and re-setup all of my 9 e-mails.

It's back to lightning fast.

I guess you can just stick with a previous version, or, what are you missing out on with updates?
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

On the FTP page, what are all those other versions after 91, that go up to 99?

Must be beta versions of 102

Would be good if they were in numerical order
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The FTP page lists both beta and release versions. It doesn't include daily builds (they're in the nightly directory).

Sounds like you worked around your problem.

In the future if you need to downgrade what version you use and want to keep the same profile add --allow-downgrade to the command line argument in the shortcuts properties. There might be minor side effects such as some fields in the address book are not visible due to schema changes. That could be worked around by exporting the address book beforehand as a .csv file and importing it after downgrading.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" --allow-downgrade
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

Thanks for the info!

I have verified that it did do this (from above):

. . . 1.) It shows one of my Yahoo Mail disposable e-mails, in two sub-accounts. I don't think it did that before.

It does not do this, with the clean re-install . . . (the disposable e-mail used, is from the forum here, used to notify of a reply)

My impression is that if there's a major upgrade to TB, you want to do a clean install.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"My impression is that if there's a major upgrade to TB, you want to do a clean install"

I think you're over reacting to your recent problems.
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

. . . 1.) It shows one of my Yahoo Mail disposable e-mails, in two sub-accounts. I don't think it did that before.

I just verified this again, with this notify of a reply, that the new install works . . .

. . . over reaction

Not from my perspective . . . some electrons got mis-directed somewhere, somehow, for some reason

Maybe the major program-update over-write works fine for most people, it just didn't for me, with this one. Maybe it had to do with some settings I had, or a plugin.

Many thanks for your help!
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

sludge7071-g wrote:...
My impression is that if there's a major upgrade to TB, you want to do a clean install.
There are a few people who advocate that position. But it is a minority opinion.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

When installing + overwrite works better than update, the most likely cause was antivirus software. Some AV software need to detect updated versions of software, but don't do that well when a program is updated versus doing a full install.
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

I determined to always do updates with all Startups and Non-MS Services off for some reason - I forget what happened, but if I did an update to TB with them on there was some issue . . . So, I would have done this update that way, and had the issue described above.

But, this turned out to be a good thing! I did a clean install of the latest of the "one version back", which cleared up some issue I had with TB getting stuck checking this one e-mail . . . and in re-doing the settings, I was able to streamline that a bit too. Very happy with TB!