Thunderbird 102.3.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird 102.3.0

Post by tanstaafl »

I also have the message pane enabled.

You might have enabled "global inbox" for a POP account at one time, creating those folders in 'Local Folders" and hiding the POP accounts folders in the folder pane. I don't have any hard data regarding its popularity but it seemed fairly popular about a decade ago, and now seems unpopular. My impression is that many of those users have shifted to view -> folders -> global.

*.sbd directories are automatically created to organize the directories used to store your mail into a folder hierarchy.

The Mail and ImapMail directories don't show up in the folder pane as they are the parent directories used to contain "local directories" (the top level of a directory tree used to store an accounts messages/message filter) for POP and IMAP accounts. "Local Folders" has a local directory like any other account. It just doesn't have as many folders created by default as other accounts do and normally doesn't know how to send or receive mail (unless a global inbox is enabled).

"The second confusion I have is that when I look at the Account Settings screen, there is an account named "Mail" which is my old POP mail account, but "Mail" does not appear in the Folders Pane. My concern is that the account "Mail" on the Account Settings screen is actually associated with the "Local Folders" on the Folders Pane and if I delete that account, all my subfolders to "Local Folders" will go with it. Does make sense?"

Yes, Press the Advanced button in the POP accounts server settings pane. If the "inbox for a different account" radio button is enabled you probably have a global inbox.

If that is the case deleting the POP account won't delete or make Thunderbird ignore its mail (since its stored in "Local Folders", not the POP accounts local directory tree).
ncmudbug

Post by ncmudbug »

Yes!! "Inbox for different account" is checked and it is in "Local Folders"!!! Thank you! I think I'm all set now.

Thank you so much for your help!!!
ncmudbug

Post by ncmudbug »

One more question, if you can still stand me.

Is there a way I can have the "Local Folders" positioned underneath the listing for the new IMAP account?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Not a problem answering more questions :)

You can change the relative positions of accounts in the folder pane. Go to tools -> account settings and use the mouse to drag and drop the account name of an account in the left pane above or below other accounts. That moves all of the accounts folders in one step.

If you want to change the position of folders within an account then you need the manually sort folders add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... rs/?src=ss . But for what you asked about, that feature is built into Thunderbird. Its just sort of hidden.
ncmudbug

Post by ncmudbug »

Boy, you've done it now! I have yet another question to ask! (will this ever stop?) :P

I rearranged the accounts - THANKS! But under my "Local Folders" I have an Inbox, Drafts, Sent, etc. TB won't allow me to delete them. Is there a way to hook my new IMAP account to those folders so, for example, mail will show up in the Inbox under the "Local Folders", mail I sent show up in "Sent" under "Local Folders", etc.?

Thanks again (again)!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If it doesn't allow you to delete a folder in Local Folders its probably because you are using a global inbox (configure a POP account to use the Local Folders folders and hide its folders in the folder pane) and that folder is a "special" folder.

Global inbox only supports POP accounts. You can partially work around that for a IMAP account.

You could use message filters to automatically move new mail from the IMAP accounts inbox to the Local Folders inbox. You could configure "Copies & Folders" to use folders in Local Folders instead of the IMAP account. You can unsubscribe folders you don't care about (as long as they are not "special" folders such as the inbox) and keep the account/folders not expanded in the folder pane, so its easy to ignore.
ncmudbug

Post by ncmudbug »

My Copies & Folders only allows me manage where sent, archived, drafts, and templates go. Is there something special I have to do to send a copy to my Local Folders Inbox? If I am successful at that, would I be able to reply to an email in the Local Folders Inbox or would I have to use the Inbox in my IMAP account?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Is there something special I have to do to send a copy to my Local Folders Inbox?"

Use a message filter. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/or ... ng-filters

"If I am successful at that, would I be able to reply to an email in the Local Folders Inbox"

Yes.
ncmudbug

Post by ncmudbug »

I'll try that. I guess my usual filters would be run before junk classification and the one that copies to my Local Folders Inbox would copy everything that doesn't match something that is highly unlikely.

Or can I have a message filter on my IMAP account that sends everything to my Local Folders Inbox and then have message filters that filter that? Would before and after junk classification still apply to messages copied there?
ncmudbug

Post by ncmudbug »

I'm still curious about my previous post but I've just noticed something strange. When I click on the "Write" button, it assumes that I'm writing from my gmail account - even if I've highlighted any of the folders in my "Local Folders" including Inbox. It's only when I have a folder associated with my IMAP account that an email I compose is assumed to come from that account. Is there a way to change that? For example, can I set up a default from address? or tell TB that "Local Folders" is really related to my new IMAP account?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"can I have a message filter on my IMAP account that sends everything to my Local Folders Inbox and then have message filters that filter that?"

Yes.

"Would before and after junk classification still apply to messages copied there?"

The order of processing is:

Message filters (first)
"Trust header"
"Adaptive junk mail controls" (last)

"When I click on the "Write" button, it assumes that I'm writing from my gmail account - even if I've highlighted any of the folders in my "Local Folders" including Inbox."

I assume the POP account is the Spectrum account and the IMAP account is a Gmail account.

It may be defaulting to the identity of your topmost/first account in the folder pane. If that's a problem, change the default account. You can use the account actions list box at the bottom of tools -> account settings to do that for the currently selected account.
ncmudbug

Post by ncmudbug »

Re message filters: By before or after junk classification, I was referring to the sequence in the filter itself. When you "write" the filter, you are given the option of having the filter executed "Before junk filter classification" or "After junk filter classification".

The POP account was a Spectrum account but that's the one I deleted (you mean you didn't commit this whole thread to memory?!! :-/ ). I moved the accounts (gmail, Local Folders, and new IMAP or Spectrum) around and the default seemed to always be gmail. :-( Maybe I'm just stuck with that...