TB marking everythign I delete as "junk/spam" (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
csarmendariz

TB marking everythign I delete as "junk/spam" (Linux)

Post by csarmendariz »

Hi,

I have been using thunderbird for a long time but just recently activated the "adaptive junk" feature.
I'm still playing with it to see if it works for me, however recently noticed that it had marked as junk every message in my "deleted" folder.
There are a lot of emails there that I deleted myself, they are not junk, just emails that i read and didn't want to archive.
Is this a bug? Will it end up learning that everything I delete is junk?

https://imgur.com/a/lrlUOo6

I'm using the version 91.11.0 within Ubuntu Mate 18.04, thinking of updating in case it helps but I thought of asking here first.

Thanks!
Last edited by DanRaisch on October 1st, 2022, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
tanstaafl

Re: TB marking everythign I delete as "junk/spam" (Linux)

Post by tanstaafl »

Junk processing must be well trained for it to work correctly. Training involves marking many messages as "junk" and many messages as "not junk". It is important to mark both types of messages, both good and bad, not just the ones that are junk. Bayesian filtering (junk processing) requires at least 100 bad messages be marked as spam and 100 good messages marked as not junk to function. To work best, it needs a few hundred of each marked.

It also helps to lower mail.adaptivefilters.junk_threshold to 30 using the config editor, to make the junk filtering learn faster. The tradeoff is this also makes it less accurate for a while (until it gets enough known junk and non-junk messages).

I suspect you have only identified junk messages, causing it to make terrible judgements.
csarmendariz

Post by csarmendariz »

Thanks @tanstaafl, I understand the process of training, I have been marking as "not junk" all those emails in the "deleted" folder.
However the interesting thing about what is happening is that thunderbird is only marking them as "junk" once I deleted them and they move to the "deleted" folder.
If I leave them in the "inbox" folder or move them to any other folder which is not the "deleted" one they never get marked as "junk".
It has to be some process linked with the deletion, it would be interesting to know if anyone else can replicate it...
csarmendariz

Post by csarmendariz »

I updated to the last version but the issue keeps happening.
Is there anywhere to report bugs?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You can report bugs at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home

If you report it I suggest you attach (there is a button in the upper third of the bug report form to allow you to attach files) your "inbox." , "inbox.msf", "deleted." , "deleted.msf" and training.dat files so that a developer can try to reproduce the problem. Otherwise you risk them either ignoring it (don't have enough data to try to duplicate so they assume its due to a user error) or closing the bug report "as works for me".