New Message windows frozen on screen, cannot drag around

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Shemja

New Message windows frozen on screen, cannot drag around

Post by Shemja »

I updated TB to V 102.3.1 and it fixed the long problem I'd had with new messages randomly across folders and accounts not color-coding to my userChrome instructions, which makes me happy, but now I have a new annoying problem.

New Mail windows and pop-out windows that view attachments open to a frozen state on my screen. They are not full size windows, but I cannot move them by dragging the header bar like usual. I must resort to resizing corners to move the window across my screen.

I'm on a Mac Mini running Monterey 12.5.1.

Is anyone else seeing this phenomenon?
tanstaafl

Re: New Message windows frozen on screen, cannot drag around

Post by tanstaafl »

Try deleting xulstore.json (toolbar, window layout and size/position settings.) and session.json (snapshot of the windows layout) in your profile and then restarting Thunderbird. They can get corrupted. You will need to reconfigure any changes you made to the toolbars as the replacement files will use default values.
Shemja

Post by Shemja »

I'm guessing deleting those files won't affect changes userChrome manages. Do I need to also delete session.json.backup or sessionCheckpoints.json?

Will TB automatically repopulate these files?

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird will automatically replace xulstore.json and session.json using default values.

I'm not sure, but would suggest deleting session.json.backup and sessionCheckpoints.json .
Shemja

Post by Shemja »

Tried deleting them. Didn't work.

Strangely enough, when TB froze on me tonight with a hangup trying to copy a sent message, it released my compose window for me to move around. Nothing else worked, but moving the window did. Once I closed the program and everything was working properly again, the compose window went right back to frozen. When I open it up to make a new message, it opens to the last position I had moved the window to.

Any other ideas?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try downloading the setup program and installing it over the existing installation (if you install it elsewhere you will have problems with using your existing profile). If you have the same problem when you run the new copy see if help -> troubleshooting (runs Thunderbird in safe mode) has any effect.