How to really exclude 1 acct from "Get all new messages"?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thoste

How to really exclude 1 acct from "Get all new messages"?

Post by thoste »

When I click menu "Get all new messages" then TB v12.5.0 on Win10 64bit retrieves all new messages for all my accounts.

Unfortunately one of these account contacts (via POP3) a mail server which seems currently down.
I am getting popup notifications from TB similar to

"Login to server ....... with username ....failed"

I don't want to get such error popups any more (for a while) and exclude this account from all auto-retrieval accounts.
Therefore I went (according to guides in Internet) to

Settings--->Server Settings

and unticked the following checkboxes:

Check for new messages at startup
Check for new messages every .... minutes
Automatically download new messages

But this seems to be not enough.
After exit and restart of TB and click on "Get all new messages"
I am getting still the same error popups

How can I really exclude a certain account from auto-check for new messages?

By the way: Having to uncheck (at least) 3 (!) checkboxes to exclude an account is unhandy and user unfriendly.
There should be just 1 simple checkbox "exclude an account from get all new messages"
Can this be added?
DanRaisch

Re: How to really exclude 1 acct from "Get all new messages"

Post by DanRaisch »

How can I really exclude a certain account from auto-check for new messages?
That's not an "auto-check". Clicking on the "Get all new messages" menu option is manually telling Thunderbird to do exactly what that command says, "Get ALL new messages".

You don't say how many accounts are in your Thunderbird profile but if that number is low, you could individually select account names in that drop down list below "Get all new messages" to avoid triggering that error message.
thoste

Post by thoste »

I have 7 accounts.
Having to click on 6 of them is obviously unhandy.

"Get all new messages" could be an abbreviation of "Get all new messages except manually excluded".

Introducing a simple checkbox in each account settings "exclude from Get all new messages" should be a work of 30 minutes (if the developer knows the source code and where to put it). So why not add it in the next release?
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

thoste wrote:I have 7 accounts.
Having to click on 6 of them is obviously unhandy.

"Get all new messages" could be an abbreviation of "Get all new messages except manually excluded".

Introducing a simple checkbox in each account settings "exclude from Get all new messages" should be a work of 30 minutes (if the developer knows the source code and where to put it). So why not add it in the next release?
If you go to Account Settings and then to the Server Settings section for the relevant account you have three options in regard to receiving new mail, "Check for new messages at start-up", "Check for new messages every ? minutes", and "Automatically down load new messages". Would it alleviate the problem if you uncheck those three items for the problematic account?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

thoste wrote:"Get all new messages" could be an abbreviation of "Get all new messages except manually excluded".
Could be, but it isn't. Probably because it is a niche use case and wasn't something considered necessary during development.
Gone Postal wrote:If you go to Account Settings and then to the Server Settings section for the relevant account you have three options...
That was already tried per the initial post. Those settings control Thunderbird's automatic actions, not the "Get all new messages" command issued by the user.
thoste wrote:I don't want to get such error popups any more (for a while) and exclude this account from all auto-retrieval accounts.
Therefore I went (according to guides in Internet) to

Settings--->Server Settings

and unticked the following checkboxes:

Check for new messages at startup
Check for new messages every .... minutes
Automatically download new messages

But this seems to be not enough.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

DanRaisch wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:If you go to Account Settings and then to the Server Settings section for the relevant account you have three options...
That was already tried per the initial post. Those settings control Thunderbird's automatic actions, not the "Get all new messages" command issued by the user.
Apologies to OP and you. Brain defaulted to TLDR.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

thoste wrote:Introducing a simple checkbox in each account settings "exclude from Get all new messages" should be a work of 30 minutes (if the developer knows the source code and where to put it). So why not add it in the next release?
The feature is there, just buried.

Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings [for desired account] > Advanced > Include this server when getting new mail

The real trick is that the "Advanced" button isn't visible until you scroll the contents of the tiny Settings window to the right! Terrible interface.
thoste

Post by thoste »

Interesting.

You mean the "Advanced" button right of checkbox "Empty Trash on Exit"?

When I open the corresponding sub window then the checkbox "Include this server when getting new mail" is unclickable/greyed out.
I can disabled/enabled this checkbox only when I select radio button "Inbox for different account".

So by default (=Inbox for this account") the checkbox is greyed out and empty which means account is NOT included when getting new mail.

BUT why are messages for my special account in focus fetched anyway when I click button "Get all new messages"?
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

I never had trouble using this checkbox myself because I use a global Inbox in Local Folders for all mail. If I switch to a separate Inbox for the individual account, the checkbox gets greyed out as you say, remaining checked or unchecked whichever it was but that apparently no longer matters, because Thunderbird simply gets mail from all accounts with separate Inboxes whenever you click the button.

I don't know why it's set up this way, but clearly if you want to use this option on your problem account, you first need to switch it to "Inbox for different account". It hardly matters which one you pick because you're not going to receive anything. Then uncheck the box.