How Long Does It Typically Take?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Code Name

How Long Does It Typically Take?

Post by Code Name »

How long does it typically take for the Tb gurus to resolve a problem with the Lightning Calendar? Maybe I should ask; how long should it take...

Two months ago I reported on Bugszilla a problem (link below) with the Lightning calendar missing various events and provided numerous examples and lots of additional information in hopes it would help the Tb gurus find the problem and lead to a timely resolution. However, this bug has never been assigned to anyone and it sure looks like no one cares what troubles (with missing events) it causes users. It's very frustrating to have a calendar with many very important events in which it cannot be trusted to display all the events for a given multiweek period of time or month.

What is a Tb user to do that cannot depend on the calendar? Sticky notes?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1790869
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...
tanstaafl

Re: How Long Does It Typically Take?

Post by tanstaafl »

My impression is that if you don't provide the necessary information for somebody to look into a bug within a day or two after you submit a bug report the odds of anybody doing anything about it drop dramatically. It also didn't help that you didn't mention the version number or what add-ons were installed when you submitted the bug report.

It might have helped if you attached a screen shot of when you first opened Thunderbird and then after you "toggle some future months ahead and also change from multiweek to month and back, and so forth," when you first submitted the bug report. It would have helped if you enabled logging for the calendar and attached the log files the same day you submitted the bug report. If they saw evidence of an error in the log files they would have taken you more seriously.

The unfortunate reality is that the development team is swamped by lots of low quality bug reports and you have to make an effort to make a good first impression when you submit a bug report or you will typically get a polite response and then get ignored.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:QA_Ca ... osis_hints
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

tanstaafl wrote:My impression is that if you don't provide the necessary information for somebody to look into a bug within a day or two after you submit a bug report the odds of anybody doing anything about it drop dramatically. It also didn't help that you didn't mention the version number or what add-ons were installed when you submitted the bug report.

It might have helped if you attached a screen shot of when you first opened Thunderbird and then after you "toggle some future months ahead and also change from multiweek to month and back, and so forth," when you first submitted the bug report. It would have helped if you enabled logging for the calendar and attached the log files the same day you submitted the bug report. If they saw evidence of an error in the log files they would have taken you more seriously.

The unfortunate reality is that the development team is swamped by lots of low quality bug reports and you have to make an effort to make a good first impression when you submit a bug report or you will typically get a polite response and then get ignored.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:QA_Ca ... osis_hints
@tanstaafl,

I do not consider this bug I reported to be a 'low quality' bug report. But unfortunately it is quite apparent the development team thinks it is not worth fixing.

I guess the unfortunate reality for me is that (from what you revealed in bolded red above) it sounds like it is now too late for me to expect the Thunderbird development team to fix this Calendar problem, and this problem will continue to just be ignored by the development team. What does this say to other Thunderbird users? It says that those in control at Thunderbird either don't care about their users or they lack the knowhow to take care of such matters. Either way, it is not a good look...

I have never before experienced any business or service that reacted this way. This is truly a first!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're drawing the wrong conclusion. They get tons of low quality bug reports. Unfortunately yours was one of them.

You're running into the equivalent of the consequences of making a bad first impression. With luck somebody else will submit a similar bug report in a few months that makes a better first impression. You could also try retesting with a beta build and if the symptoms are different, submitting a new bug report.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/beta/
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

tanstaafl wrote:You're drawing the wrong conclusion. They get tons of low quality bug reports. Unfortunately yours was one of them.

You're running into the equivalent of the consequences of making a bad first impression. With luck somebody else will submit a similar bug report in a few months that makes a better first impression. You could also try retesting with a beta build and if the symptoms are different, submitting a new bug report.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/beta/
@tanstaafl,

That's pathetically poor customer support in my opinion. With luck somebody at Thunderbird that cares will correct this disappointing, unacceptable procedural process you laid out...
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I see you made the classic mistake of doing multiple additional comments on the bug no doubt annoying the hell out of the devs who get an email for every comment. Way to go you have now been placed in the ignore annoying person basket
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

malliz wrote:I see you made the classic mistake of doing multiple additional comments on the bug no doubt annoying the hell out of the devs who get an email for every comment. Way to go you have now been placed in the ignore annoying person basket
Geez, malliz! I'm just a typical Thunderbird user with absolutely no experience whatsoever in developing. In fact, I know practically nothing about about what the Tb developers actually do. I honestly did not realize I was supposed to have any developing knowledge in order to file a bug report properly so as not to upset the devs. That's my excuse for why I made the 'classic' mistake that apparently ignored the hell out of the devs. I guess what I did was very typical and actually a somewhat common occurrence for a non-dev like myself when trying to get involved by reporting a bug. I ws sure hoping I could help the devs and other Tb users facing similar problems. No doubt I failed and you have made that point very clear to me! The process to report a bug, I think, is a bit too convoluted for the typical Thunderbird user anyway. If only people like me had some upfront tutelage from someone like yourself that knows everything, we wouldn't make that stupid 'classic' mistake! Buy hey, Thunderbird says 'Get Involved' - 'Get Help', so being willing to help, I tried and tried - and tried some more...

In fact malliz, when I received a bugzilla email about the reported bug I originated I got this following statement:

Do not reply to this email. You can add comments to this bug at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1790869

So you see malliz, I did exactly what it asked me to do - add comments! if you're like me - a non-dev Thunderbird user (without your wonderful insider developer's knowledge) - am I supposed to somehow magically know that if I do add comments to the bug report I originated that I'll be making a 'classic' novice mistake? How was I expected to know that? Really! Really! Come on man! :roll:

malliz, are you suggesting that I might not receive a Best Wishes Holiday Christmas card from the developers? Damn, that would really upset the hell out of me! I guess I'll just ignore them... And, I'll just forget about my reminder event I put on my Calendar to make a healthy donation to Thunderbird - because well, I can't find the damn missing event on my Calendar anyway! ](*,)
Last edited by Code Name on December 6th, 2022, 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

Well, it appears things are possibly moving along in a somewhat positive manner, although slowly.

I received this message from Thomas D. (:thomas8):
Hi codename, first of all, very sorry for the inconvenience! I understand your trouble when events aren't showing in your calendar. There's a couple of similar bugs (referenced below), although probably not enough to claim that this is a frequent problem. We have a lot of reports to look at, and there's no way we can look into everything and fix everything at the same time, so please be patient. We understand that your calendar isn't working for you - no need to repeat that in every other comment. 3 months is actually very young for a bug. And of course we can only fix it if we can reproduce it with steps provided by you, so let's focus on completing some information in this bug report :-)

Referenced Similar Bugs:

[Bug 1326548] Missing recurrent event on starting event not adhering to the RRULE
[Bug 1694709] Events not shown in Lightning, even after refreshed synchronization
[Bug 1796158] events not showing

I have now uploaded the calendar.debug/calendar.debug.verbose file for the bug report (Bug 1790869) that I originated initiated. I hope I acquired the debug file correctly and it is helpful. [-o<
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

It certainly appears that (with a few restarts to check it for sure) that Update 102.6.0 fixed this Bug 1790869 problem as well as the other associated problems (i.e. 'No Events in the 'Next xx Days' box) and ('Recurring events did not display past a certain number of repetitions').

I guess when the Calendar picker is carelessly put behind the 'Send Later' feature by a dev expert certain things don't work correctly!

Happy that it is finally fixed! =D>