need more help

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dazco

need more help

Post by dazco »

I made a big mistake trying to find a way to remove the send without subject warning by installing a different version and then went back to the version i had been at. Now all sorts of things i was somehow able to configure before seem impossible. The 2 main ones that i have spent at least 2 hours googling and trying to do are to make it start up and default to my default account's inbox. It defaults to no folder at all and YES, i do have "check for messages at startup" checked in the server settings of both accounts. Tried one account too but still defaults to no folder at all on startup. . Second, the quick filter toolbar will not stay gone. I uncheck it in the toolbar list and it goes away only to come back when Tbird is restarted. Please help if you can, I'm getting desperate.
tanstaafl

Re: need more help

Post by tanstaafl »

Why not simply go back to the most recent version and live with having to click on one button to send a message without a subject?

If that really annoys you use a template to create a new message, which has something generic in the Subject field by default. It has no problems with a template with a space followed by a period as a subject if you want something short and generic that many people will just ignore.
dazco

Post by dazco »

because the most recent one has yet another bothersome feature i hate plus the same old send warning. This is the version who's only issue was the send warning but now i can't figure out how to configure it how it WAS working before i make the dumb nistake of trying not to live with the one issue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What is the new bothersome feature to you hate? Perhaps there is an add-on or a setting you aren't aware of to workaround it.
dazco

Post by dazco »

tanstaafl wrote:What is the new bothersome feature to you hate? Perhaps there is an add-on or a setting you aren't aware of to workaround it.
When i write a new email I pick the recipient by clicking on that persons email in the left pane of the new email window. With the new one, either the addresses aren't therein the left pane and i couldn't find a way to enter the recipient without typing the address out or hoping it autocompletes.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Select view -> contacts side bar or press F9 while displaying the new mail window. The setting is sticky. That will display the contacts side bar which is a handy way to add addresses to the to/cc/bcc fields.
dazco

Post by dazco »

Thanks, i had nothing to lose with the version i was using since it went nuts on me so i tried the new version again and did as u said. So all is normal again with the same initial issue of the subject warning but looks like thats an impossible fix anyways so i'll just live with that until and if i ever find a fix. I'll never understand why they refuse to change something so many people want.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There used to be an add-on that allowed empty subjects but its obsolete and doesn't work anymore. What you could do is create a template for a message that has a space followed by a period as the subject. Thunderbird accepts that as a subject and many people would never notice the period in the subject. You'd have to use the template whenever you create a new message, to use that solution.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ct/?src=ss
dazco

Post by dazco »

I know, but theres an extra step and i really don't want to bother for a few reasons. I'll just live with it if and until someone with the power to change it realizes how stupid it is to inflict their own preferences on all users.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

dazco wrote:I know, but theres an extra step and i really don't want to bother for a few reasons. I'll just live with it if and until someone with the power to change it realizes how stupid it is to inflict their own preferences on all users.
Not stupid if a functionality used by a small number of people is stopping the implementation of a change that will benefit a larger user base. We have no way of knowing whether that is the case here but blanket statements based on a purely personal experience often reflect more badly on those making the statement than those who are the target.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The main difference in using a template is you double click on a message in the templates folder rather than single clicking on the Write button in the toolbar. That's a fairly minor inconvenience. Its tough to predict when somebody might rewrite the Allow Empty Subject add-on but it could be years.

You might find some utility (AutoHotKey , AutoIt, Actionaz or worst case “Push the Freaking Button!” (PTFB) (latest version is not free, I think its about $35)) that could be trained to recognize the popup window asking if you want to send the message without a subject and automatically press the appropriate button.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... tton).html is a very old free version of PTFB.