Sending Error 6.6.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bex1210

Sending Error 6.6.0

Post by bex1210 »

I am having the same exact problem on an email. I have Thunderbird 60.9.0 running on Windows 7 Pro. This is the text of the message that I am trying to send:

"Brooks Brothers really needs to improve the quality of your website! I had trouble placing my order because although entries on your web pages indicated I could click on them, nothing happened. I finally called someone and got my order placed.

Now I am attempting to return an item that does not fit. One page on your return section of your website gives me the option of returning via Fed Ex (for a fee), or the US Post Office (no fee noted). But clicking on the US Post Office entry does nothing, even though my mouse icon changes to indicated that it is a legitimate link. I tried this with 4 different browsers, and all have the same problem."

Thinking that the issue might be related to the recipient's email address, I tried sending the same message to another email address that I have. And got the same results. I then removed all of the test from the message. NO change. Then I removed the subject line. Still the same problem.

Then I created a new message with no text or subject, and sent it to another of my email addresses. Same problem. I finally closed and reopened Thunderbird, and tried to send a message to another of my email addresses. Same problem. So now I cannot send ANY emails!

What is going on here?

10 minutes later: I just closed Thunderbird, and rebooted my computer. Same problem. Thunderbird does not appear to be working at all for me now.

Harry Ward
DanRaisch

Re: Sending Error 6.6.0

Post by DanRaisch »

I split your post from its original location because that thread died three years ago.

Can you send your message from the webmail page of your email provider? That is, if you log into the account using a browser, do you get an error sending from there?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You appear to be running Windows 7 (based on the user agent string in your post). Is there some reason why you don't want to upgrade to the latest version (102.5.1)?

Enough time has passed that there are alternatives for many of the most popular add-ons that won't work with the current version. I still complain about the reduced amount of choices but the BrowseInTab, CompactHeaders, Expression Search - NG and ImportExportTools - NG add-ons add-ons meet most of my needs.

Long term you might also run into interoperability issues where your email provider drops support for older ciphers and you don't have any in common. There was one thread a month or two ago where it looked like that happened with one person with their ISP. I think it might take years before that is an issue for most people still using version 60.* but its not going to go away.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

DanRaisch wrote:I split your post from its original location because that thread died three years ago.

Can you send your message from the webmail page of your email provider? That is, if you log into the account using a browser, do you get an error sending from there?
This gets stranger by the day. I first opened a Windows 10 Pro laptop that I have. My email provider is Compuserve. I could send from Compuserve's webmail page with no problem. Then I opened Thunderbird on the laptop. I could send from there also.

Then I went back to my Windows 7 Pro SP1 desktop, and repeated the above. I could send not only from Compuserve's webmail page, but also from Thunderbird! So the problem magically disappeared!!!

I have T'bird version 60.9.0 (32 bit) on both computers. I see that there is a 60.9.1 now. I also see that there are 64 bit versions. Is it worth updating? And if I go to the 64 bit version, will I have to manually enter all of my settings, or will T'bird get them automatically?

Harry
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

tanstaafl wrote:You appear to be running Windows 7 (based on the user agent string in your post). Is there some reason why you don't want to upgrade to the latest version (102.5.1)?

Long term you might also run into interoperability issues where your email provider drops support for older ciphers and you don't have any in common. There was one thread a month or two ago where it looked like that happened with one person with their ISP. I think it might take years before that is an issue for most people still using version 60.* but its not going to go away.
I can't figure out what version of Windows 7 Pro SP1 I am running! I even searched the Internet to see if I could find out how to determine it, but was unsuccessful. If you can direct me to info about how I find my version and how to then update it, I would appreciate it. I keep up with all of my security updates. The most recent one was KB5013637, which I installed earlier this week.

I realize that I could run into problems long term. But I am in my 80's, so I may be dead before those occur :D .

Harry
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

bex1210 wrote:I can't figure out what version of Windows 7 Pro SP1 I am running! I even searched the Internet to see if I could find out how to determine it, but was unsuccessful. If you can direct me to info about how I find my version and how to then update it, I would appreciate it.
Open a command prompt and type "winver" (without the quotation marks)?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

bex1210 wrote:I have T'bird version 60.9.0 (32 bit) on both computers. I see that there is a 60.9.1 now. I also see that there are 64 bit versions. Is it worth updating? And if I go to the 64 bit version, will I have to manually enter all of my settings, or will T'bird get them automatically?
Version 60.9.1 is several years old and obsolete. You could upgrade to a recent version and stick with a 32-bit version. The main thing to be aware of is that many of your add-ons would have to be replaced as version 60 used XPCOM/XUL while current versions use the WebExtensions API instead. That switchover started in version 60 (really 68) and completed in version 78.

The 64 bit version should be slightly faster, but the easiest way to get it is to install it using a download of the current version from https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ . That shouldn't care that you have a old 32 bit version also installed, it will mainly be an issue of whether the new version automatically finds your current profile or you have to explicitly select it (one time) using the GUI due to using the -p command line argument.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... e-profiles
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

tanstaafl wrote: The main thing to be aware of is that many of your add-ons would have to be replaced as version 60 used XPCOM/XUL while current versions use the WebExtensions API instead. That switchover started in version 60 (really 68) and completed in version 78.

NOW I remember why I never went to a newer version in the past! I think I will leave well enough alone.

Harry
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

Gone Postal wrote: Open a command prompt and type "winver" (without the quotation marks)?

Thanks. It is Win 7 Pro, Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Harry