TB 52.9.1 Dropdowns stopped working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ACFairbanks

TB 52.9.1 Dropdowns stopped working

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hello,

Under Win 10 22H2 I just had to reinstall TB 52.9.1.

I just tried to compose a new email, went up to the To: field, and entered the first few characters of my intended recipient. The dropdown populated properly, and I clicked on the name of the intended recipient. But the To: field remained blank, so I tried again. Still, the To: field remained blank. I continued experimenting until I just entered the recipient's email address manually, and then clicked to Send.

Only at that point did I discover that I had sent about five of the messages to the recipient, because each of the "blank" entries had populated, just not visibly...!

Any suggestions about how I might fix this hassle?

Many thanks,
A.C.
DanRaisch

Re: TB 52.9.1 Dropdowns stopped working

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi Dan,

I just launched in Safe Mode, and entered several characters of a contact name, but nothing populated the dropdown. Of course, that meant that there was nothing on which I could click to potentially populate the To: field, so I don't know how to answer your question.

Thanks for further thoughts,
A.C.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In the compose window, if you press F9, the contact sidebar should display at the left of the window. Is that functionality working for you? I'm not suggesting it as a solution but a work around so that you can compose messages while the initial issue is solved.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi Dan,

The F9 method is not different in any significant way:

I press F9, and the list of contacts appears. I can easily find my intended recipient. But when I doubleclick on the recipient, focus goes to the To: field, but it remains blank...

Then, if I send, the message goes to the chosen recipient, but I can only evaluate the accuracy of the destination after I click to send.

Thanks, as before,
A.C.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi again,

Knowing that add-ons can sometimes cause glitches, I decided to try removing mine...

I did that for each, in sequence, re-launching TB each time (whether or not needed.)

That did not have any impact on the still frustrating problem.

Also:

If I enter a sufficient number of characters in the To: field two things happen. The dropdown list populates as I have described, and the To: field populates with the proper address, which remains visible. But, as before, if I click on an entry displayed in the dropdown list, I noticed that it flashes for an instant in the To: field, then vanishes.

And finally, based on a suggestion, I experimented with a few themes to see if one might solve the problem, but had no luck.

Thanks, as before,
A.C.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried launching the program in Safe Mode? That does more than disable extensions -- Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi Dan,

No, the problem does not occur running in Safe Mode.

Also, it may be a coincidence, but I have been running TB V52.9.1, but just found that launching TB after the Safe Mode experiment, it has "up" graded to 60.9.1.

Thanks for any further suggestions,
A.C .
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Make sure that Hardware Acceleration is disabled in Thunderbird. Menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General->uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available." Close and restart TB.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi,

Hardware Acceleration was not checked...

Thanks,
A.C.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi again,

My address dropdown problem remains, and in addition, the To:, CC:, Bcc: dropdown also fails. The result of all this is that I cannot see who my recipients are. Yesterday, experimenting with all this, I tried to send myself a test message, only to discover that it was sent to four other addresses in addition.

Might there be some further suggestions?

Many thanks,
A.C.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not as a solution but until this is resolved, don't use the drop down in the composition window but use the contacts side bar where you can select one name at a time.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi Dan,

Is there reason to hope that this issue might be resolved at some point prior to my Retirement Party?

Also, might Uninstalling, and Reinstalling TB help me out with this?

Many thanks,
A.C.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If Thunderbird was working and then developed a problem, I would not expect the issue to be with the program itself but with the user's profile. Uninstalling and reinstalling the program doesn't automatically touch the stored user data. That said, you can certainly use Windows to uninstall the program or delete the program files stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird (or, less likely, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird) and then run the installer program to put new copies of the files in place.

Understand that your report is the only one I have seen regarding this specific problem. That seems to confirm the idea that the issue is with the locally stored profile.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hmmm...

Am I correct that I could then move the stored mail in my former profile to my new profile? Also, could I move other components of my former profile to the new profile in sequence until I spot the thing that breaks the dropdowns...? That might be of value to others at some point.

Many thanks,
A.C.