LOST THE 'WRITE' LINK AND TEXT SHRUNK

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Gone Postal

Re: LOST THE 'WRITE' LINK AND TEXT SHRUNK

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote:The two issues:text is tiny and ability to 'write' and email is only possible with Ctrl+N (thank goodness for that)
1) Click on the three-bar icon at the top right and adjust the font size to see if that helps.
2) From the same icon click on the View link then select "Layout" and make sure "Folder Pane" is checked. This should display a "New Message" button at the top of the Folder Pane at the left. Or, from the View link select "Toolbars". Make sure the Mail toolbar is checked. If there is no "new message" icon showing in the Mail toolbar (which is created in the top border of Thunderbird), right-click in a blank space in that border, select "Customise" and drag the icons you need (like "new message") to the toolbar.

If you want the old-style Menu Bar with things like "File", "Edit", "View" etc and drop-down menus from there, make sure the Menu Bar is clicked in the View > Toolbars option.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

The New Message button never went away. Dan suggested Ctrl+N to bring back the screen that has the "write" button so I can write an email and the address book appears. I can do everything but write from the screen that has all the incoming emails. Are you around on Tuesday....in case my friends are here and I can't figure it out. I hesitate to do anything now because if I screw it up worse I am stuck. They will be here Tues 2pm EDT.

I was able to enlarge the font size with your tip. Thank you!!!! I think I will wait until Tuesday because I am a coward. But I hope your suggestions will help when they are here Tues. I appreciate you very much.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

2) From the same icon click on the View link then select "Layout" and make sure "Folder Pane" is checked. This should display a "New Message" button at the top of the Folder Pane at the left.
That won't work as there is no "New" or "Write" button associated with the Folder pane. All of the buttons for that sort of functionality are on the the mail toolbar which may not currently be displayed in sjw54's Thunderbird profile. To change that it may only be necessary to confirm that the Mail Toolbar is displayed (menu path View->Toolbars->Mail Toolbar is checked. If that is already checked it may be a matter of customizing that toolbar by dragging any desired buttons to that bar as Gone Postal suggested.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

DanRaisch wrote:
2) From the same icon click on the View link then select "Layout" and make sure "Folder Pane" is checked. This should display a "New Message" button at the top of the Folder Pane at the left.
That won't work as there is no "New" or "Write" button associated with the Folder pane. All of the buttons for that sort of functionality are on the the mail toolbar which may not currently be displayed in sjw54's Thunderbird profile. To change that it may only be necessary to confirm that the Mail Toolbar is displayed (menu path View->Toolbars->Mail Toolbar is checked. If that is already checked it may be a matter of customizing that toolbar by dragging any desired buttons to that bar as Gone Postal suggested.
In v112 I have the folder pane displayed and at the top of the pane in the folder pane header is a blue button with text "+New Message". Click on this button and the new message window opens.

https://ibb.co/rHRjSby
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan....I have the blue New Message Button....that never disappeared. What vanished was the button to 'write' an email.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote:Dan....I have the blue New Message Button....that never disappeared. What vanished was the button to 'write' an email.
That is what the New Message button does - it opens the window where you write an e-mail.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

First time I tried it last week it did not work...it does now...OMG!!! That is awesome.....I can't believe it.....thank you so much, both of you...for your wisdom and patience!!!

New question: there is no longer a way to add to my address book....these changes make me crazy. I need to add new names to my address book and also edit a few. Where did that go? I hope to hear from you before tomorrow noon....I may cancel my friends coming over to help if we can figure out this last issue ...thank you!!

Do I still want to keep this beta version?
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan or Gone Postal: My friends will be here in 30 min. You wrote that I should uninstall Firefox (is that uninstalling Thunderbird?) I do not use Moxilla Firefox, just Thunderbird. I used to use Firefox for my browser but switched to Chrome browser. But I could never give my Tbird. So are your instructions still just to change Tbird back to what it was? If you could answer this quickly I would appreciate it before we mess things up. Thank you in advance.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The instructions to uninstall were intended to refer to Thunderbird.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I found a way to add new contacts. Tools>address book.

However, please explain this one thing. If I uninstall Mozilla Firefox and reinstall does that deal with the Thunderbird issue? You suggested doing the changes with Firefox but I want to make sure I am getting rid of beta Thnderbird.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan...thank you. My friends had to leave but that is what I needed to know. I'll find someone to help...at least in the meantime I can get to whatever I needed to.
I just want to get rid of the beta and not be at the mercy of all that it entails. So sorry for my ignorance. So thankful for you. I'm sure you must be amazed at my stupidity but I doubt I'm the only one....LOL
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not stupidity but ignorance. Quite an important distinction. Education can fix ignorance. "You can't fix stupid."
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

And I admit I have a great fear of electronics and computers...at 75 I just got my first smartphone and that is no picnic either. I learn a tiny bit now and then regarding the computer, but would never tackle the issues without someone here in case I screw up what I have no clue how to correct. I am in awe of all who are so knowledgeable...like you. I am not one who will ever educate when it comes to this stuff...I know my limits....but thank you for the distinction. I will remain reliant on you.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote:And I admit I have a great fear of electronics and computers...at 75 I just got my first smartphone and that is no picnic either. I learn a tiny bit now and then regarding the computer, but would never tackle the issues without someone here in case I screw up what I have no clue how to correct. I am in awe of all who are so knowledgeable...like you. I am not one who will ever educate when it comes to this stuff...I know my limits....but thank you for the distinction. I will remain reliant on you.
If it is any consolation I am 5 months short of my 75th. birthday and have had no formal computer training. I have been using computers since about 1983 but anything I know I have picked up through trial and error and following the advice of other more computer-literate people who help others through the internet. That means I may well offer incorrect or garbled advice from time to time for which I can only apologise. However, while things may be challenging for you, you can learn an awful lot just by trying things. As long as you understand how to back up the things on your computer so you can revert to where you were if things go wrong then nothing is a better learning process than actually trying something to see what happens.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Gone Postal......thank you so much for your reply. I am 75, and just not a person who 'gets it' when it comes to anything electronic. I do not do backups, someone else comes and does that for me. I find Tbird much more user friendly than other servers...but when they switch me to beta than I have issues. My friends are returning on Sunday to do the switch from beta to nonbeta. I seem to have solved the two things that were a problem from last week, thanks to you and Dan. If I go to this link: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/ and English(US) and I have Windows which of the two windows is correct? If one of you could post exactly which links here that my friends will need, I would appreciate it. The Thunderbird install and the beta uninstall. Then I will have everything in one place, to make it easier for them. Which do you do first? Can you give me the link for the new version? and the link to uninstall the beta? I am so sorry for being such a pain, but so thankful my friends are willing to drive 45 min to be here to help!! Thank you in advance. Susan