q re SENT folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
maya90

q re SENT folder

Post by maya90 »

hi,

I recently transferred a TB profile (a big one, with thousands of emails), to a new computer, and somehow the mail that was in the SENT folder in TB in the old computer did not come through properly..

In the SENT folder in TB in new computer I can only see what's on top (sender, subject, date), but the body of the email is completely empty, as is the top part of the body where it also says from whom, to whom, subject, date, etc... this happens with all SENT emails that were in the Profile that was transferred (the emails I have sent from TB in new computer I can see fine in SENT folder..)

would appreciate some help..

thank you..
DanRaisch

Re: q re SENT folder

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
maya90

Post by maya90 »

POP3......

thank you for your response.....
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Was the account set up as POP on the older computer as well?
Do you still have access to the profile on the older system?
maya90

Post by maya90 »

yes.. I have never used IMAP...

yes I still have access to the old computer, and TB is still installed in it.......
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, then on the old computer, try performing the following procedure:

OK, try this procedure. First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Sent folder to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile folder. Delete both the file Sent.msf and the file Sent with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird, send a test message to yourself and you should find a new Sent folder in place with just that test message. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Sent folder from the sub-folder created above to the Sent folder. Compact the Sent folder after those messages are copied in. You can then go into the profile folder again and copy the file Sent with no file name extension, copy that to the new machine, easily done using removable media, and use that file to replace file Sent in the profile on the new machine.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.