New gmail acct,getting "Inoming server already exists" error

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

New gmail acct,getting "Inoming server already exists" error

Post by Flycaster »

I'm on the latest version of Thunderbird and Windows 11. I am trying to add an IMAP gmail account to Thunderbird. I already have two IMAP accounts with comcast. When following instructions on how to add another account, I am getting "Incoming server already exists" alert??? When filling in the first two fields of "Set up your existing email address," I entered my name and my present email address. Under "Available configurations," I chose the IMAP button (it correctly showed the variables associated with Incoming, Outgoing and Username. It is when selecting Done that I get this alert and I don't know what to do??? Thanks.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: New gmail acct,getting "Inoming server already exists" e

Post by DanRaisch »

When filling in the first two fields of "Set up your existing email address," I entered my name and my present email address.
For this new account, are you entering the information for the Gmail account or for your Comcast account?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:
When filling in the first two fields of "Set up your existing email address," I entered my name and my present email address.
For this new account, are you entering the information for the Gmail account or for your Comcast account?
I'm confused by your question. The first two fields info icon says to enter existing account, which is from Comcast. It is my understanding that once this info is entered and you Continue, Thunderbird does the rest automatically and hooks into gmail - the new account I'm trying to set up???

EDIT: I think I know the problem: In order to establish an gmail acct within Thunderbird, I first have to have a separate gmail acct, which I don't.

EDIT2: Well, I did set up a gmail acct. However, when I then repeated what I had entered before, I still got the same alert. Could it be that I should have entered my gmail acct info instead of my comcast info?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

EDIT2: Well, I did set up a gmail acct. However, when I then repeated what I had entered before, I still got the same alert. Could it be that I should have entered my gmail acct info instead of my comcast info?
Yes, that's exactly the issue. Thunderbird can't use your Comcast info to validate and connect with your Gmail account. It's a matter of interpreting what is meant by "Existing address".
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

OK, I have successfully established a Google email account that is syncd with Thunderbird...Thanks. However, I now have some questions on how to use it.
1. Most Importantly: My TB calendar is not functioning properly. When going to the calendar on the PC (which is syncd with Outlook on my android phone,) all of the events that were previously there, are not showing. When selecting my TB regular email address in the left hand pane under Calendar, and right clicking, I very briefly get those missing events. They briefly flash on and off, and there apparently is no way to have the events last long enough to know what they are??? Of course, how do I get my events to always show?
2. When in TB's Folder Pane, my two Comcast accounts (with their folders) are there, but there is no gmail account. Should it be there? If yes, how to get it to show? If not, does this mean I have to use gmail from the browser (Firefox)?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

2) What is indicating that you have successfully established a Gmail account in TB is you don't see any folders for that account in the folder pane?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:2) What is indicating that you have successfully established a Gmail account in TB is you don't see any folders for that account in the folder pane?
I'm able to send gmail from Firefox toThunderbird???
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How are you seeing incoming email in Thunderbird if you can't see any folders from that Gmail account in that program?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:2) What is indicating that you have successfully established a Gmail account in TB is you don't see any folders for that account in the folder pane?
You are correct. I do not have a gmail folder within TB. I mis-interpreted being able to send/receive emails between gmail and TB as success. Shows how much I know. So, now I need some help to establish a gmail acct in TB; and, most importantly, I need to get my TB calendar working correctly.

EDIT: On the left pane of the calendar, under Calendar, I have my TB email address and to the address' right is a button labeled "Enable." Right clicking this button, briefly shows my events for about a millisecond. Far to fast to read, but they are there. Until I started fooling around with getting gmail, events entered into my TB calendar would also appear in my android phone (Galaxy A13 5G)...they were syncd (I am using the extension: Provider.) I just entered an event into TB, but it is not appearing in my phones Google calendar as it had in the past??? Again most important that I re-establish the syncing.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Wow! I muddle through and think I accidentally got my calendars in sync. So, there I was, just trying stuff. One of the stuff was to select the "+" for a new calendar. A dropdown came that said "Provider was never granted access to linked Google account." It appears that I had to sign in with my Gmail address and PW, which I apparently never did, or did incorrectly (probably signed in with my Google account.) Anyway, my PC and phone now are fully communicating calendar info.

However, I still don't have a gmail folder in TB???

EDIT: I think following this link (https://www.pop2imap.com/thunderbird-gmail.php) would get a gmail folder into TB, but I'm not sure. But, if I were to follow this link, wouldn't Gmail (Google) become my server as I'd be replacing the Comcast variables with Gmail's? Or, even if this were to happen, I'd still have my two Comcast accts and the Gmail would be added on; and, I'd get emails for all accts, regardless??? Actually, the more I think about it, the link is OK to follow as it does appear to be setting up a new acct.

BTW, when opening Settings in the browser Gmail, under Accounts and Imports, do any of these need to be attended to:

Import mail and contacts: xxxxxxx@comcast.net
Learn more This import has not started. Provide info Delete
Import from another address

Send mail as: xxxxxx@gmail.com Edit info
(Use Gmail to send
from your other email addresses) Add another email address
Learn more

Check mail from other accounts: Add a mail account
Learn more
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I may be misinterpreting your post but you should not be changing/replacing the Comcast settings in Thunderbird with Gmail values. You should be creating an entirely new email identify in Thunderbird for Gmail, separate from the previously existing Comcast account.

Did you ever enable POP or IMAP access by an email client (Thunderbird) on the Gmail side, accessing the Gmail server using a browser?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:I may be misinterpreting your post but you should not be changing/replacing the Comcast settings in Thunderbird with Gmail values. You should be creating an entirely new email identify in Thunderbird for Gmail, separate from the previously existing Comcast account.

Did you ever enable POP or IMAP access by an email client (Thunderbird) on the Gmail side, accessing the Gmail server using a browser?
Yes, both Gmail and TB are IMAP.
So, you are saying that the link I'm intending to follow, will set up a Gmail folder that will automatically appear in the folder pane with my two Comcast accts; and not interfere with the Comcast accts already in place?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That would be the expectation if the Gmail address was added to the Thunderbird profile while the Comcast address was left unchanged in Thunderbird. Using menu path Tools->Account Settings there should be five primary entries (shown in bold font) in the left hand pane of the dialogue box: Comcast, Gmail, Local Folders, News & Blogs and Outgoing Server (SMTP).

Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

"...That would be the expectation if the Gmail address was added to the Thunderbird profile while the Comcast address was left unchanged in Thunderbird." Sorry, Dan, but I'm still a little confused by this statement. It appears you are saying that the instructions in the link are OK as long as "...Gmail address was added to the Thunderbird profile while the Comcast address was left unchanged in Thunderbird." Well, aren't these instructions going to do just that: Not screw up the Comcast accts while safely adding the Gmail to TB? So, a Yes or a No, do I or do I not follow the link's instructions? Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, that should be what happens but I can't see your TB installation so I can't be sure if you (no offense) followed all of the steps correctly and if what you now have matches up with those expected results.

Did you use Firefox to access the account settings on the Gmail web page to permit IMAP access to that account?

BTW, I take issue with the headline of the article. POP is NOT bad and IMAP is not automatically good. Both have good and bad features and which is better depends on the users needs, preferences and understanding of the differences.