New gmail acct,getting "Inoming server already exists" error

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

Re: New gmail acct,getting "Inoming server already exists" e

Post by Flycaster »

No offense ever taken. Firefox's browser was used to establish Gmail IMAP. When you say: "...I can't see your TB installation..," I'm assuming that you can't check how accurately I set up the Gmail account within TB? Well, I guess it is about time that I give it a try...as long as I accurately follow the Gmail instructions as illustrated in the link.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:Yes, that should be what happens but I can't see your TB installation so I can't be sure if you (no offense) followed all of the steps correctly and if what you now have matches up with those expected results.
Did you use Firefox to access the account settings on the Gmail web page to permit IMAP access to that account?
98% Success at last! I took a chance with the TB on my laptop (the desktop is my main PC.) I followed the link, but never had to fool around with changing/adding any variables as the Gmail folder automatically appeared in the folder's pane as hoped for. However, that 2% more should be easy to obtain.

In the Folders pane, the new acct is listed as my Gmail address with an active Inbox under it when address is expanded. Then, under the Inbox is an un-expanded, but grayed out, italisized "(Gmail) folder. This Gmail folder expands with various folders under it. This new acct seems to be working correctly: I've received emails to the new acct, deleted them, and see the deletions in Trash (under the Gmail folder.) Should I leave the folders as they are, or should I do any editing (eg, the grayed out Gmail)?

Overall, thanks much for hanging with me. Especially since I'm so picky-picky about doing these things right.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Given that things are working with that Gmail account I would leave it alone.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Dan, thanks, again for all your help.