LOST THE 'WRITE' LINK AND TEXT SHRUNK

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: LOST THE 'WRITE' LINK AND TEXT SHRUNK

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no link needed to uninstall as that is all done using built in Windows 10 functionality or by deleting the Thunderbird installation directory - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird

1) Down load the new installer from whichever language (English version?) is appropriate for you. The 64 bit version will be suitable . So, for the US English would download from this link -- https://download.mozilla.org/?product=t ... lang=en-US
2) Use Windows Control Panel->Uninstall Program function to remove the Thunderbird currently installed. If any dialogue asks about removing user data, answer "No" to that.
3) Run the installer you downloaded in step 1. Thunderbird should find the existing profile and allow you to use your familiar accounts.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote:I do not do backups, someone else comes and does that for me.
No one ever thinks backing up is important until the first day they lose something critical. Depending on how much you need to back-up there are free options like Google drive or there are paid-for options on the internet (The Cloud). You can also back up to USB stick or external disk (again depending on how much data) or you could spend a few dollars on a stand-alone hard disk attached to your network. Any of those options can be part of an automated process which runs to a schedule and for which you need do nothing (except maybe insert a USB stick or hard disk when a prompt appears on your screen). Ask your guru what they know about those sort of processes.

For example I have completely automated processes that back up at least every hour to The Cloud and a stand-alone hard disk on our network. They have saved me a number of times when something has gone wrong when I have been trying something new.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

One backup software product used by several people on the forums is from Hekasoft -- https://hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/ It's free and according to comments posted on the forums, does a good job of backup and restore.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Sorry for my lack of response but since 3/21/23 I have not received email notifications that you posted comments. I just click on the last one I received and here you are, your usual helpful information. Thank you for your invaluable advice.

My friends will be here April 2nd and will help with this. Also, we will look into the backup you suggested. ....They are not familiar with Tbird but none of my friends who have helped over the years were either.....but they work with software all the time so it has never prevented them from helping fix my issues with your help too. Again, thank you so much!!!

Have a blessed weekend, Susan
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

How so I prevent the BETA updates in the future? Is that even possible. I believe I have read they do updates randomly to Tbird users.....I wish they would leave me alone!!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

sjw54 wrote:How so I prevent the BETA updates in the future? Is that even possible. I believe I have read they do updates randomly to Tbird users.....I wish they would leave me alone!!!
No, that is not true at all. Once you install and use a Beta version, updates to the Beta version will be what you get. If you uninstall the Beta version and install a version from the release channel, you will only receive updates of the release version. We can't tell you why you installed and have been using the Beta version but, as I said before, pre-release versions are not intended for technically unsophisticated users but only for those able and willing to help evaluate and test software still in the development stage.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

The mystery is that I never installed beta. I think I mentioned in an earlier thread, last July I had beta but then in October I did not. So, I guess we will never know how that happened. Thanks Dan.....I assume my friend should do a backup before we start with the uninstall, install? When you reply to my posts here I am not notified, even though I check to be notified if there is a post.....
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Backing up one's profile is always recommended when making significant changes.

On the forum page, try clicking on the "User Control Panel" on the right near the top. Then click on the "Board Preferences" tab, then on the "Posting Defaults" tab on the left. Make sure that the " Yes" radio button is selected on the option to "Notify me upon replies by default" then on the "Submit" button.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Excuse my ignorance, but Dan, are those instructions to back up Thunderbird? Looks like Greek to me....LOL Not sure why I get no emails when you reply to my posts.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, the information in my last post had nothing to do with Thunderbird. They were to help ensure that you received alerts to replies to your posts on these forums.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Thanks for that info on ot getting emails from you....for some reason it had switched to 'no' but now to 'yes'

I have a thumb drive for backup. Are there particular instructions to backup T-bird? Backing up Chrome seems to be something everyone is familiar with.

I used to use Firefox browser but for some reason my tech friends suggested Chrome a few years ago. I have heard Firefox is much better now...do you know if that is true? If I were to switch, would I lose all my bookmarks and everything else?

Thank you again!!!
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote:Thanks for that info on ot getting emails from you....for some reason it had switched to 'no' but now to 'yes'

I have a thumb drive for backup. Are there particular instructions to backup T-bird? Backing up Chrome seems to be something everyone is familiar with.

I used to use Firefox browser but for some reason my tech friends suggested Chrome a few years ago. I have heard Firefox is much better now...do you know if that is true? If I were to switch, would I lose all my bookmarks and everything else?

Thank you again!!!
I think it would be good if you spent a little time doing some research about backing up. You don't want to be picking individual bits and pieces to back up, you want a general solution that backs up everything important in one go (e.g. pictures, documents, video and also the information needed to put your personal preferences into the programs and apps you use). If your gurus are not able to sort that out you may need to try and find someone who can set things up for you. Depending on how much personal stuff you hold on your computer a thumb drive is unlikely to have enough space for a proper back-up (for example I have 250GB backed up to the cloud). If you keep the thumb drive in the same location as the computer there is also a risk that a disastrous event in the house will destroy both computer and thumb drive losing all of the personal stuff that you wanted to keep. Again ask your gurus to suggest ways you can back up and keep stuff in a different location (like backing up to Google Drive or whatever) so that a disastrous event at home doesn't destroy all your information and memories.

You don't need to "switch"; you can have install both Firefox and Chrome and have them running in tandem. There is an option in the Firefox settings to import your bookmarks etc from another browser so you use that option and it copies across the stuff from Chrome (without deleting it from Chrome). You will be asked which should be your default browser then any links on which you click will open in your default.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Wow....I got the email that you posted...so at least that is fixed. Thank you for all your advice, which I will share with my friends when they come.....over the years different people have done all this and none of them seemed to have a problem backing up. A couple of them just took time to back up Thunderbird...the rest was easy for them...but we always get it done!!!!! You are so kind to suggest these options.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In regard to backing up Thunderbird, you might show this link to your friends -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup NOTE that any references in that article to the obsolete utility MozBackup should be ignored. That software is no longer supported or maintained and is not considered reliable.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Thank you so much! Perfect......what would I do without you two?