Can't send email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Jaina

Can't send email

Post by Jaina »

Hello everyone:

Using Thunderbird on a Windows 10 laptop. Version 102.9.0 64 bit.

When I try to send an email I get an error message:

"Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) mail.twc.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again."

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I'm not sure how to search or where to search for a solution. Is the problem with Thunderbird or my ISP?

Can anyone explain this error message and suggest what I can do to fix whatever the problem is? I'm just an everyday user. Can follow directions if they're not terribly technical. Thanks in advance. I really need to get this working.

Jaina
DanRaisch

Re: Can't send email

Post by DanRaisch »

Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Just tell us if it is your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Authentication Method:
Connection Security:
Jaina

Post by Jaina »

Server name - mail.twc.com
Port - 587
Username - [my full email address]
Auth method - Normal password
Connection security - SSl/TLS

Let me know if you need anything else.
Jaina

Post by Jaina »

I also got this message:

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded: p-impout001.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp too many sessions from 54.218.100.100 AUP#Out-1360.

Seems hopeless
CBA

Post by CBA »

W10 (but an older version TB): try to change Connection Security to STARTTLS .. which is commonly used with Port 587. That's what I use for mail.twc.com and I believe that's what TWC recommends for SMTP. If that doesn't work, try Port 465 with SSL/TLS.
Jaina

Post by Jaina »

Hello:

It's working now with those settings for connection security STARTTLS and port 587. I got on a chat with TWC and they did something on the back end and that fixed it. They said they had to run a script. I do appreciate the help. This forum is very helpful. Thanks again.

Jaina
Jaina

Post by Jaina »

Hello, all:

Just wanted to post how the problem was solved. I got on another chat with TWC and they gave me a procedure for clearing browsing history, download history, cookies and site data, and cached messages and files. When I followed it, I was able to send emails again. Just FWIW.

Jaina