Blank IMAP Email Messages (Fixed)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Blank IMAP Email Messages

Post by DanRaisch »

I have not found any way of moving the existing email into a new folder so that I can then try to fix the Tb Inbox.
What is stopping you from creating a new folder under Local Folders in Thunderbird and copying the messages from the Inbox folder to that new folder and then deleting them from the Inbox?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:
I have not found any way of moving the existing email into a new folder so that I can then try to fix the Tb Inbox.
What is stopping you from creating a new folder under Local Folders in Thunderbird and copying the messages from the Inbox folder to that new folder and then deleting them from the Inbox?
Dan, I am sorry, or just confused, as you seemed to say that that was not your intention, which had something to do with moving them out of the server.

At any rate, I can recreate the folder I had made, then delete the messages from the inbox. Should I then repair the inbox folder, and move the messages back to the inbox?

I just deleted perhaps fifty readable messages from the inbox, including two responses to my Clink ticket.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Should I then repair the inbox folder,
Yes
and move the messages back to the inbox?
No, why do that?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:
Should I then repair the inbox folder,
Yes
and move the messages back to the inbox?
No, why do that?
Because I am quite confused. Based on the message to which I am replying, would I be correct that I should try to read the messages which I had moved out of the inbox?

Today started out with about 85 readable messages, then one or more blanks, followed by one or more readable ones, then repeats of non-readable and readable messages.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Something is truly amiss: I created a subfolder of the inbox, told Tb to move everything from the inbox to the test subfolder, but there was nothing in the subfolder. I then moved two new emails from the inbox to the subfolder; each time, the subfolder showed there was one message there, and each of those two messages promptly disappeared.

I have apparently lost over 500 messages. Furthermore, none of the over two hundred new messages in the inbox appears to be readable. I just don't understand what is going on, nor why IMAP is supposed to be better than POP, which has so far been far from obvious to me.

Later: The two messages I sent to the test folder and which seemed to disappear have now appeared in readable form; perhaps the over 500 messages that I first moved from the inbox will eventually show up.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

The missing five hundred are still missing, but I just had the best-ever session,deleting over at least three hundred readable new messages, leaving only four non-readable ones in the inbox.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I hope that this does cause my IMAP account to realize that it is, finally, working rather well. i am still seeing occasional duplicates, and a few non-readable messages, but those now become readable after a short while.

Given that I now have a working IMAP account, I am going to close this lengthy exchange.