Two TB Icons on Win 10 Taskbar...?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ACFairbanks

Two TB Icons on Win 10 Taskbar...?

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hello,

I run TB 102.11.2 (64) under Windows 10 22H2.

Years ago, I put an icon of my design on a Desktop Shortcut that launched TB. (This was purely for aesthetic reasons, as the default TB icon somehow bugs me.) Next I dragged that, then new, icon to the taskbar where it lived happily, and worked perfectly, until about a week ago.

Now, A click of that taskbar icon launches TB... But on launch, the default, original, TB icon, also appears, to the right, with a line under it indicating that TB is running. When I close TB, the original TB icon vanishes, and my beautiful shortcut icon remains, as before, happily on the taskbar.

I am eager to avoid that second Icon appearing, and have experimented with scores of suggestions, but none have worked. All involve varied sequences of pinning, and unpinning one, or both of the TB icons on the taskbar, or the start menu.

Might you know of a solution to this double icon issue that actually works?

Many thanks,

A.C.
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 5th, 2023, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Color and font tags removed to improve readability.
LIMPET235

Re: Two TB Icons on Win 10 Taskbar...?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I'm not sure about this but have you checked the Properties of each of the shortcuts?
What's in the Shortcut > Target line?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi,

The target for the Shortcut with the icon I designed is: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" (with the quotes)

I don't know how to view the target for the TB icon that appears on the taskbar while Thunderbird is running.

Many thanks for further thoughts,

A.C.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

ACFairbanks wrote:Hi,

The target for the Shortcut with the icon I designed is: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" (with the quotes)

I don't know how to view the target for the TB icon that appears on the taskbar while Thunderbird is running.

Many thanks for further thoughts,

A.C.
Hi again... I know now:

On inspecting it further, I see that the target for the second TB icon that appears on the taskbar is "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" (again with the quotes.) So, the two targets are the same.

Thanks, as before,

A.C.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're welcome...

So....Just delete the errant one.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi,

The shortcut I want to keep is on the Desktop (and I dragged it to the taskbar, where, for years, it launched TB properly remaining the only TB shortcut icon on the taskbar.) Now, the errant one appears on the taskbar as the second icon when I launch the the good taskbar shortcut, and it vanishes when I close TB.

How might I prevent the errant Shortcut icon from appearing on the taskbar? That is the problem I am trying to solve.

Many thanks,

A.C.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Have you tried right clicking the errant icon & selecting "UNpin from Task Bar?"

I do not know where it will end up....maybe on the desk top?
Delete it from there if it does appear.

ps. A suggestion...After removing the errant one...
Instead of dragging your created icon onto the Task Bar, move it onto the desk top, right click & select "PIN TO TASK BAR."

Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

If you go to your start menu, right-click on Thunderbird and select Properties, on the Shortcut tab there is usually an button to Change Icon. Is this how you changed the icon last time or did you edit the shortcut directly? It may enable you put in your bespoke icon at the Start Menu stage which again from right-click you may then be able to pin to taskbar and remove the previous shortcut.

Only a suggestion and no guarantee that it will make any difference.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi,
LIMPET235 wrote:Have you tried right clicking the errant icon & selecting "UNpin from Task Bar?"

Yes, many times..., no luck. It keeps coming back.

I do not know where it will end up....maybe on the desk top?
Delete it from there if it does appear.

It does not move to the Desktop. It goes to where Shortcuts go to plague us from hiding.

ps. A suggestion...After removing the errant one...
Instead of dragging your created icon onto the Task Bar, move it onto the desk top, right click & select "PIN TO TASK BAR."
I had not tried that, and was happy to experiment with it... No change.

Sincere thanks,

A.C.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

[quote="Gone Postal"]If you go to your start menu, right-click on Thunderbird and select Properties, on the Shortcut tab there is usually an button to Change Icon. Is this how you changed the icon last time or did you edit the shortcut directly? It may enable you put in your bespoke icon at the Start Menu stage which again from right-click you may then be able to pin to taskbar and remove the previous shortcut.[/quote

Hi,

When I right click on TB in my Start Menu, the word "Properties" does not appear.

Thanks,

A.C.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

What happens if you just select DELETE the errant one?

Any response from Windows? (Do you really want to delete this shortcut?)

ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi,

The errant one is on the Taskbar... Where would I find an option to delete it?

Thanks,

A.C.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

The only option I see that is relevant with any Task Bar icon is "Unpin from Task Bar."

Suggestion...You state that Thunderbird is in your Start Menu.
Why?

Have you tried closing everything down & done a cold start up?

Maybe remove/delete "Your Icon" & creating a new one from the Program folder & then try changing that new "errant one" to suit?

Tis very strange that it disappears upon closing.
Darn this is just a shortcut & should hang around until not required.
Did you create it or ?

ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

LIMPET235 wrote:The only option I see that is relevant with any Task Bar icon is "Unpin from Task Bar."

Suggestion...You state that Thunderbird is in your Start Menu.
Why?

I have no idea, and just removed it. No luck.

Have you tried closing everything down & done a cold start up.

Yes... Nothing changed.

Maybe remove/delete "Your Icon" & creating a new one from the Program folder & then try changing that new "errant one" to suit?

I unpinned TB from the taskbar. Then, deleted "my" shortcut, went to TB in Program Files, and "Sent" TB to the desktop producing a brand new shortcut. It, of course, displayed the familiar TB icon. I then opened the shortcuts properties, and clicked Change Icon to put in my icon design. Next, I right clicked to send the shortcut to the taskbar. When I clicked on it, as I have described, another icon appeared on the taskbar to the right, and it had the default TB icon on it, and I line at the bottom indicating that TB was running.

Tis very strange that it disappears upon closing.
Darn this is just a shortcut & should hang around until not required.
Did you create it or ?

The disappearing icon is not of my (knowing) creation. I certainly don't deny the possibility that I did something that caused it to appear (and disappear,) but I assure you that I have no idea of what I might have done to cause that.

Many thanks for any further thoughts,

Lothar
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi again,

It appears that I have solved my double icon problem...

After using Resource Hacker to change all the icons in Thunderbird.EXE to the icon I prefer, I saved my "improved" version as Thunderbird-2.EXE

When I double clicked on it, TB launched displaying the icon I designed, but then to its right the default TB icon appeared (leading me to believe that the default TB icon was stored somewhere in addition to my new Thunderbird-2.EXE file.) I pinned my preferred icon to the task bar, and noticed that the Start In field of that shortcut said "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird-2" and somehow my fingers were guided to change that entry to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird." With that, the double icon difficulty was eliminated, and I have the icon I wanted.

Thanks to all,

A.C.