How do I export address books to excel

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
David4321

How do I export address books to excel

Post by David4321 »

I have address book tab open, but when I click export command, it defaults to trying to export my entire profile (which is enormous) to a zip file. I cancel because that is not what I want. I see others online discussing how this action is supposed to just export address books, and give me a choice of format - I see none of that. What am I doing wrong, and how do I get a simple export, preferably to .xlsx, or to .csv if must be, preferably of all address books, but one by one if need be.

I'm in Thunderbird 102.11.2 (64-bit) on Windows 11.

Update: I tried allowing that full profile export complete, and it appeared to complete, but the file size was 27.4 gb, about what I expected, and the file was unopenable, as I was warned by TB.

LIMPET235

Re: How do I export address books to excel

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi David, There's a 2 Gig limit with Thunderbird...

You have to use an extension to export your files/folders etc...
See Import/Export NG > https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... src=search
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Re: How do I export address books to excel

Post by DanRaisch »

You missed an intermediate step, David:

While viewing the address book, right click on the name of an address book in the left hand pane. There will be an option displayed to "Export". Selecting that will allow you to choose the format for the output file, with CSV as the offered default. Choose that and give the file a name to create a comma separated values file containing address book information in a form that Excel can read.