TB no longer pulls mail from Outlook.Office365 server

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Kent Slimm

TB no longer pulls mail from Outlook.Office365 server

Post by Kent Slimm »

I'm still able to access my email, which is hosted by Microsoft, using their online Outlook portal. But as of today I'm getting this error message when I try to connect from TB: "The STAT command did not succeed. Error getting message number and sizes. Mail server outlook.office365.com responded: Server Unavailable." A MS tech says the server *is* available; the problem is that they've phased out IMAP and POP (my account is set up as the latter) and all local clients must now be configured as Exchange Online.

1. Does this sound like a plausible explanation for why I suddenly can't connect?

2. If so, what are my options? Is it possible to switch TB's configuration to Exchange Online? How? And if I did so, what would happen in terms of archiving my messages after they're downloaded and being able to specify how long they're kept on the server?

FWIW, I tried to deleting my password, restarting, and reentering it when asked.
Also, I have TB on two computers (both running Windows 10), and the same problem now shows up on both. One of them was just updated to v. 102.12.0, while the other still has the previous version.
Last year I ran into a problem with authentication, which turned out to be because Microsoft started requiring OAuth2 instead of Basic Authentication. Changing my server settings accordingly solved that problem, but it doesn't help with the current one.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Grumpus

Re: TB no longer pulls mail from Outlook.Office365 server

Post by Grumpus »

Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Interesting, but I wasn't experiencing any problems during the period of these outages (last Tuesday); my issue started three days later and is continuing.
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

A MS tech says the server *is* available; the problem is that they've phased out IMAP and POP (my account is set up as the latter) and all local clients must now be configured as Exchange Online.
I was warned about this months ago by GoDaddy where my domain is registered.

You and everyone else using MS servers will need this add-on as they switch over to Exchange:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... -services/
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And yet I have no problem accessing my email in Thunderbird from hotmail.com using the IMAP protocol.

Settings:
Server name = outlook.office365.com
Port = 993
User Name = Full Hotmail address
Security = SSL/TLS
Authentication = Normal Password
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

Update your settings to keep your email app access working.

There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 06/09/2023. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail — don't worry, none of your emails will be lost.

In order to continue using your email apps, you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange for each device you use to check your email. This also applies to other users who are set up within your account using POP/IMAP settings. Here's how to update your email settings.

Mine is still working also. It's only been a few days and it may take awhile.

Interesting, my port # on outlook.office365.com has always been 995.
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!