Mozilla Thunderbird unread folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
nehaltrivediThunderbirdForum

Mozilla Thunderbird unread folder

Post by nehaltrivediThunderbirdForum »

Hello All,

I have query if the following feature is already existing in Mozilla Thunderbird
---if Mozilla Thunderbird have one more folder of Unread mail folder which automatically puts all unread emails in that single folder (Unread mails) for convenience of Mozilla Thunderbird.

if the feature does not exists then my suggestion is that it will be good to add the feature in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Thanks

Nehal Trivedi
Geheimnis

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird unread folder

Post by Geheimnis »

where are your Unread mail going to now ?
nehaltrivediThuderbird

Post by nehaltrivediThuderbird »

Anonymous wrote:where are your Unread mail going to now ?
in the INBOX of thunderbird. It would be good if it can display or oragniase them in seperate folder of "Unread Mail". Thanks
charles

Post by charles »

If you just want to view unread messages why not just use View> Folders> Unread? That shows unread messages no matter where they reside.
nehaltrivediThuderbird

Post by nehaltrivediThuderbird »

charles wrote:If you just want to view unread messages why not just use View> Folders> Unread? That shows unread messages no matter where they reside.

That does not really helps in a way I want. I wish that thunderbird has an inbuilt feature of a folder "unread" below "inbox" folder in the "local folders".Currently all unread mails are in the normal inbox mixed with read emails.
Thanks
Nehal
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You shouldn't be storing your read messages in your inbox in any email program.
Redhaze737

Post by Redhaze737 »

Daifne wrote:You shouldn't be storing your read messages in your inbox in any email program.

Can you expand on this thought? Where else do you have your read messages? Maybe you sort them into pertinent folders so that the Inbox is empty?

I've been looking for a way to have only Unread emails show up in the Unread view. I can only get this if I first go to an empty folder.....like Unsent........then click to Unread.....which is then empty. If I just go from my Inbox.....which is not empty.......directly to Unread.....Unread shows my Inbox.

To expand on this.......once the email list column is empty, by clicking on an empty Folder, then as I click through Unsent, Favorite, Recent, All Folders......the email list column remains empty. If I click through these views immediately from the Inbox, which is not empty, the email listing column still shows my Inbox. Is this the way it was intended to work? Or am I doing something wrong?

BTW, I'm using version 2.0.0.19 (20081209).
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You delete them or move them to other folders that you create, whichever. You just don't want to store them in your Inbox.
Redhaze737

Post by Redhaze737 »

Sounds reasonable. Any comment on the Unread view issue that was brought up and I expanded?
DavidR2PA

Post by DavidR2PA »

Perhaps a message filter would work for you. When an email is read, move it to a Read folder?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

If the inbox is kept relatively empty, you shouldn't have a problem seeing your Unread messages.
Redhaze737

Post by Redhaze737 »

Daifne wrote:If the inbox is kept relatively empty, you shouldn't have a problem seeing your Unread messages.

I agree and I don't have any problem seeing the unread messages as they are highlighted. The point of the discussion, at least in my mind, is that clicking on Unread view should only show unread messages. Clicking on Unread should not show all messages. Otherwise what's the point of having an Unread view? Why doesn't the Unread view show JUST the Unread messages.

I don't think I should have to go to an empty folder view then Unread to have an empty view until new messages come in......which does work BTW. Surely you can see my point here?
Redhaze737

Post by Redhaze737 »

DavidR2PA wrote:Perhaps a message filter would work for you. When an email is read, move it to a Read folder?

Thanks, I could do that, but that's not the point. The point is, the Unread view should just show unread messages.......otherwise, what's the point of the view?

You know, I really don't have a problem seeing my unread emails. It's just that it disappoints me when software doesn't do what it says it's going to do. And don't get me wrong, I like Thunderbird and Firefox.

I'm not a code writer and certainly don't want to denigrate the authors of Thunderbird. However, why can't Unread view actually show ONLY Unread messages. The messages come into the Inbox folder highlighted, so it triggers something. And if I go to an empty folder BEFORE I click on Unread, only unread messages are shown when new messages arrive. Soooo, what's the problem?
Last edited by Redhaze737 on March 11th, 2009, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
NetworkGuy55

Post by NetworkGuy55 »

All of my messages do not go to my Inbox. When I have a sender from whom I get lots of emails, I don't want to have to drag each message to that sender's folder. I set up a filter that moves the message for me. The problem is that if the folder is scrolled below the pane, I don't notice right away that they have sent me a message. I would like to see an Unread folder like Outlook has, where every email that is marked as unread, regardless of the folder it is sitting in, appears, yet *all* my folders are still visible in the left pane if I need to drag a message to another folder. The Thunderbird client forces me to switch back and forth between All view and Unread view to accomplish what I can do in Outlook in a single view. I used Outlook for many years, but actually I like Thunderbird (especially since I installed the Lightning extension) except for this one irritation of the Unread mail queue.

Post by Guest »

To keep this brief: "networkguy55" is speaking for me. I am persistently frustrated by Thunderbird not reflecting the NetworkGuy55 view point.