MozillaZine

OSX - Disable Dock Notification

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Thinkn

Post Posted February 16th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Is it possilbe to disable the new mail notification dock icon on a per account basis (OS X Leopard)?

Thanks.

Thinkn

Post Posted February 17th, 2009, 12:04 pm

bump.....

aallen005

Post Posted July 6th, 2009, 2:13 pm

I'd like to be able to do this to, either per account or in general. I tried setting the mail.biff.show_tray_icon and .show_alert (and others) to "false" but that didn't work. My guess is that's for XP and not Mac OS X. Anyone have any ideas?

lobotomy42

Post Posted July 22nd, 2009, 2:15 pm

Have you tried mail.server.default.notify.on ?

aallen005

Post Posted July 31st, 2009, 3:02 pm

No luck. I changed that (mail.server.default.nofiy.on) to false, and new mail still changes the dock icon to indicate the number of new messages. It's odd that this is customizable in XP but not OS X (usually the reverse is the case). Any further ideas?

aallen005

Post Posted September 21st, 2011, 9:13 am

I think I finally tinkered enough to make this work, mostly. It's no one thing, I think, so honestly I'm not sure if all of the following are necessary, but to disable the number of mail items showing up on your Thunderbird dock icon, you need to:
1) Uncheck "Check for new messages at startup" in Account Settings / Server Settings (for each account)
2) Uncheck "Check for new messages every ___ minutes" in Account Settings / Server Settings (for each account)
3) Uncheck "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" in Account Settings / Server Settings / Advanced (for each account)
4) Uncheck "Animate the dock icon" in Preferences / General / When New Messages Arrive
5) Uncheck "Play a sound" in Preferences / General / When New Messages Arrive

Then, when you want to check for new mail, either use your short cut key, press check mail, or just click on the inbox/mailbox of the account you want to check, and if it's an IMAP account, it should check right away.

BUT the dock icon will still illuminate with number of messages you have (until they're marked as read, of course). For me, the above is enough to remove the distraction of the red circle appearing.

I guess a further approach would be to build a filter that marks all messages as read immediately, but the above is working for me.

jondaman21

Post Posted September 25th, 2013, 1:54 am

I filed a feature request to disable entirely the mail count on the badge in the dock and task switcher on Mac OS X.

If you want this implemented, vote for this request!
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=920413

LIMPET235

Post Posted September 25th, 2013, 4:45 am

Please check the date before posting in these old threads.

Start a new one. Thank you.

Locking.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Return to Thunderbird Support